Monday, October 17, 2016

Semester 1

Chapter VII: Fashion Paradoxes (October 12 – October 17, 2016)

Last week, I had a chance to visit the Shanghai Fashion Trade Show where international designers and brands present new collections and make their contributions to the world of either rich or famous or both. And of course also showcase shit that will be eventually ripped off by H&Ms, Zaras, Bershkas and other awesome companies providing miserably paid jobs to children all over Asia. 80% of the shit is non-wearable though – some of it simply cause it just doesn’t meet requirements of clothing, some cause it’s way to bizarre. Unless you’re shooting a hiphop video of course. That’s actually quite fascinating. When I walked around the venue – rebuilt industrial building just next to the Power Station of Art – musically, I was exposed mostly to fresh underground trap. This is quite amazing to me. You got black guys who literally just made it out of trap rapping about killing people, doing/selling drugs and generally portraying this convenient numbness to everything, and it serves as an elevator music for rich white and Asian people who spend their lives buying the most ridiculous shit. In a way, it all actually makes perfect sense.


When it comes to art, I visited Madein Gallery. They do mostly media art and the current exhibition focuses on Asian post-internet artists. Mixture of 3D, vaporwave, paintings and video art. Even though it’s little outdated at this point, it was by far the freshest experience I’ve had in a gallery  in Shanghai. Apart from that, I went to explore M50 exhibition space. Also former industrial area which now serves as a platform for galleries, ateliers, cafes and restaurants. Very hipsterish. I was there last year during my first Shanghai visit and nothing really changed. Some of the exhibitions have even prevailed. It’s a cool area but nothing really impressed me this time around.


And then there was Saturday. I wen to Le Baron again to visit an afterparty of one of the fashion brands. This time it was with a live act. You know I G Ma? The smash hit of Keith Ape? Well, Keith didn’t come but the other guys did so there you have it. Live Korean trap. Le Baron is a very expensive club and you can tell by the weird diversity of the crowd. Even when it’s a hiphop party, you got super fake white dudes in white shirts who cannot dance for shit (although they really try) but you can smell money off them. You got tons of bitches on high heels, probably hoping to score one of the money guys. Occasionally, you spot those kind of hiphop heads who can afford this type of shit, and that particular night there were, of course, fashion people. Well, and then you got me. The live show was kinda short but kinda dope. The guys were full of energy and did it whole half playback. I drank lots of Martini and Jameson and ended up smoking with them in the backstage. I think there were guys from the Genome 666 collective too. It was chilled and I got super faded…

 
School is fine too. I’m struggling with Chinese. The language is so fucking hard, it hurts. I'm trying to be a good student though – doing my homework, following recommended online courses and shit… We had a seminar on new Media on Saturday which made me realize again of how fucking far the campus is. I was supposed to be there 8:15 and I had to wake up like 5:30 to actually make it. Took one of the first subways. But yeah, things are moving at a very convenient pace which allows me to me read a lot, watch lots of new TV series and making my little trips around the city. And fucking running and working out. The weather is still cool and temperature doesn’t go under 20 degrees.



 
Highlights:
  • I bought a ticket for a Halloween party in the Arkham club. Le1F’s is the main act and Rich Chigga’s serves as a support. October 29th!
  • On Sunday, this Happy Buddha joint (located in the venue of short movies gig I went to couple of weeks ago) introduced the very first vegan ice cream in Shanghai. Based on coconut milk, they offer chocolate, vanilla and vanilla with mint flavors. The first day, they gave it away for free and I almost overdosed.
  • I got my fucking residence permit. It cost 1000 RMB but it’s done and I can get this shit off my to do list. On the way to the station (in the Pudong district) I had to cross the river using the Shanghai ferry. Didn’t have a clue they do ferries here. It’s super cheap too.

Selfie of the chapter:

my research group
 

No comments:

Post a Comment