Semester 1
Chapter III: Detox and
Escapes (September 16 – September 22, 2016)
Campus life is super
relaxing. There’s really not much to do in the Minhang district and
given the fact it takes you around an hour and a half to get to the
city center, you don’t really get out that often. It kinda feels
like a detox. I eat regularly, I work out more than I used to back
home, I run almost every day, I listen to shitload of music and I
watch all TV series I haven’t managed to check out yet (Mr. Robot
fucking rocks).
Getting out from
campus for a party pretty much means signing up for an all nighter. Since they
don’t let you back in dorms till 5:30, you might as well drink till the
metro starts and get back then. I went to the city with this mindset
last Friday which marks my very first experience with Shanghai night
life. By a series of fortunate coincidences, I ended up partying in a place
called Le Baron which is apparently one of many poshy places
downtown. It was an invite-only Fashion Week after-party and
luckily for me, I was given a VIP bracelet which entitled me to
consume unlimited amount of A1 champagne, 18 year-old Chivas Regal
and some other fine ass booze. The club is located on the 7th
floor and you can feel the money everywhere. In the furniture, in the suited up
bartenders and also in the maids - running around, regularly cleaning up your mess.
Surrounded by fashion designers from all around the world, I’m
quite positive I was the poorest motherfucker in the room. Gotta give
it up to the DJ though – his hiphop/trap selection was up to date
an on point. Had a great time till about 5 am, got completely
shitfaced and woke up in a 5 star hotel somewhere in Pudong area.
Pretty cool kick start of the local night life.
Other than that I
dedicated myself to the apartment hunt. I went to check some flats
with two girls I met here last week and based on that experience it’s safe to say that
around 90% of local real estate agents don’t give two shits about
presentation. Back home, when you go see flats, they are usually all
cleaned up, shiny and generally appealing. Here, most places are
smelly, windows are dirty and you can even find cigarette butts on the floor
or in the sink. All of it makes you pretty uncomfortable and
desperate. We eventually decided to look for rooms separately as
there’s better chance of getting an acceptable room in a place that’s
already set up (and inhabited by international people) than getting a whole new thing. After
long searches, dozens of messages and hours spent on laptop, I
eventually managed to find a super small (like really super super small) clean room yesterday. So starting the next week, I’m outta dorms. Thank god!
Highlights:
- Two rides from the campus to the city and back in one day. Felt like I was about die on the subway.
- DJ set at Le Baron. Whoever the guy was, shout out to him!
- THE NEW PLACE IN THE CITY! Let’s get it!






No comments:
Post a Comment