Semester 1
Chapter XI: Mansion
& Games (November 8 – November 16, 2016)
It’s the mid term
period at the university so I actually have to study little harder than
usual these days. That doesn’t necessarily prevent me from
unveiling another parts of the city and local life though, so don’t
worry – I got some new shit to share…
Last week, I went to
a joint named Organic Kitchen for a game night. Now, people who know
me probably also know that I’m not really that social and that me
at a game night isn’t a very common thing. Which is absolutely right – this was in fact my first experience with something like that. However,
Organic Kitchen does all-you-can eat vegan buffets every week for
around 80 RMB and veggie heads use that opportunity to hang out and
play. And they say that getting out your comfort zone is important,
right? The menu was great – burgers, muffins, tons of salads,
fruits, soups different mixes of vegetables… Another food overdose.
Even the games were kinda fun. Cards Against Humanity are quite amusing.
After couple rounds of that, I ended up playing some super complex RPG game with couple
of guys that felt like board game veterans - I, on the other hand, still didn’t have a clue about the rules by the end of the
evening… Anyways,
Organic Kitchen is a cool place – small, cozy, has a little
European café feeling. Today, I’m coming there again, hehe…
I also visited The
Mansion for the fist time ever. Couple of weeks ago I went to Nantong
for a party organized by those guys, this time I had a chance to
actually visit their main hub. Mansion is located outside the
city center, close to Shanghai Zoo subway station. I heard so much
about it and based on that, I expected some kind of
squattish/druggish dirty place with certified party freaks. That’s
not the case at all. I mean the place is super cool, you get in for
100 RMB and that includes 5 drinks on the bar. You can choose whether
you wanna spend your time on the ground floor which is more chilled
out and you can actually talk to people, or in the basement where the
party goes on. DJs played techno, some heavy house and base
tunes and I stayed there till around 6am. Even the crowd was quite diverse. Students, model-looking girls, swagged out kids - everything you'd expect - just a little more appealing and alternative. Another place I
genuinely enjoyed…
As far as studies
go, I think I passed Chinese language mid-term test which is
something I feel fucking proud of. After some struggle, I’m able to
formulate some most basic phrases (with completely fucked up
intonation) but I can fucking feel the progress. Going all Asian
and shit…
Weather is still
acceptable and temperature ranges between 12-20. Haven’t really
needed to turn the AC (which is the only heating system in our flat)
yet. Outside of my social and educational activities, I’m still on
regular shit and I still enjoy that. And I adopted the habit of
wearing a face mask when I cycle anywhere – not sure whether it
helps but there’s really not much to lose and some days the
pollution is just off the roof... I've also started to write some raps after like a million years - I'm having fun with that.
Highlights:
- I booked a ticket to Malaysia for the winter break. Almost 4 weeks, no particular plans so far, this is gonna be fun!
- Donald Trump. Fuck everyone that voted for him but more importantly, fuck our corporate capitalistic bullshit system that actually created the amount of animosity and frustration that got people into even thinking about supporting that idiot. We live in the world where people channel their issues in a completely wrong direction and this is what you get… Didn’t expect Brexit, didn’t expect this. Please miss me with all that white man, traditional family, anti-immigration shit... And fuck Hillary too... Bernie was the only rational option all along...
- Wasteland – new HBO produced Czech TV series. Definitely one of the best TV productions that ever came out of our country.





No comments:
Post a Comment