Semester 1
Chapter XV: Rap &
Waffles (December 10 – December 16, 2016)
Alright, let me
start with some music talk. Past couple of days have been incredible
on super dope releases. I might include a music corner section within
this blog somewhere down the road (let me know if you’d like that!) but for now, let’s just list albums that are definitely a
must-listen. We got Ab-Soul with Do What Thou Wilt… Easily one of
the best projects out this year. We got a new J. Cole dropping pretty
much out of nowhere, we got a debut album from Post Malone, we got a
new Kid Cudi album dropping today. There’s new Gucci Mane (St.
Bricks Intro as a trap remake of Jingle Bells still cracks me up),
Yung Lean just dropped an EP, there’s an LP by Tech N9ne… And of course, Childish Gambino! There’s
a new Murda Beatz tape out there… I feel like they just keep coming
lately. And I love it….
Okay, back to my
life in the most exciting city in Asia… Last week, I went to a place called
Cages. It has a bar, it has some pools, it has some weird area where
people play soccer wearing these strange transparent bubbles and it
has batting cages. That’s what me and one of my classmates came
for. You pay like 10 RMB and you get a machine throwing balls at you…
Never done that before so I kinda sucked… It’s quite close
to where I live though so I might go embarrass myself sometime in the
future again. When I feel like it…
My weekend was kinda
hectic and I got little ill so I took my social activities slow. On Saturday, I went to
Organic Kitchen and had their vegan waffles for the first time. I
gotta give it to them – they killed it. They’re crispy, sweet and
they come with melted chocolate… It’s 30 RMB so if you’re a
veggie head and you’re around, make sure to drop by… Me and my
friend then continued to the Gemma bar which is in the same building
as Le Baron. Gemma hosted a performance session called Dilated.
Several artist were invited to do their pieces on the spot for 24
hours straight. It was organized by heArtS charity that works with
children with autism. You could have contributed by sending a
donation or by simply drinking… Whatever they raised on the bar
that day went to the charity. There was this guy from Australia
painting with colors made from bricks from demolished buildings, some
other rather mediocre painters and one Chinese girl who splashed
orange and black colors on canvas laying on the floor. She was the
highlight for me. Using ends of her sleeves as brushes, rolling over
the canvas and generally just creating a very dynamic piece… I got
to talk to her for couple of minutes but for the most part I just
watched her work… Really cool event…
I got out for the game night with vegan buffet on Wednesday too. That was a sure shot.
Yesterday, a friend of mine texted me she has some tickets for a new
flick by Mel Gibson - Hacksaw Ridge. Since she got stuck at work she
just offered me those like 20 minutes before the movie started. I had
nothing better to do so I went to this mall at West Nanjing Road which
marks my first cinema visit since my arrival. The movie has pretty
good reviews but I think it is shit… I mean I get why people get
all wet over it but I just think we’ve had enough of “good old
back in the day war hero good guy sentimental stars and stripes
christian” movies throughout the history of cinematography. And I kinda think that
shit like that actually screams “Make America Great Again!”. Oh
well, when Mel Gibson occupies the director’s chair, you cannot really
expect much else I guess...
I met up with the
very same friend later on in the Elevator club for a party which
headlined Throwing Shade from Ninja Tune. This was my first time in
Elevator – cool cozy place with ping pong tables by the windows,
small dance floor, couple of tables and no VIP areas for spoiled
Chinese brats. The party kinda sucked though. It was probably caused by
the fact they did it on Thursday, so it was far from packed… The
sets were also nothing special, I don’t know… You cannot have a
great party every time you go out, I guess…
Over the past two
days, temperature has dropped down to around 2-6 degrees which
doesn’t make me happy at all. However, according to the forecast,
the next week we should get back to around 15. If that’s the case,
I’m good. Exactly in 1 month, I’m gonna get my ass on a plane to
Kuala Lumpur so I can handle couple more cold days…
Highlights:
- I was given a blueberry vegan happy muffin. Slept like a log. Highly appreciated.
- Work out. I still do that shit outside, I’m getting significantly better in pull ups and since the gym in Minhang has been under construction for over a month, this is currently my only way of exercise. And I feel good.
- Two of my people from the Czech Republic got their visa so I’m gonna have a company for the New Year’s Eve. That’s gonna be dope!






No comments:
Post a Comment