Semester 1
Chapter XVII: New
Year’s and Promises (December 25, 2016 – January 4, 2017)
This one took a
little longer since two of my people from the Czech Republic paid me
a visit. They left yesterday. It was cool to have some of the closest
around plus I had a chance to practice a role of a guide in this
city. Shanghai has been quite cold over the holidays and the
pollution stays on extremely unhealthy levels. I guess this won’t
get any different over the upcoming couple of weeks though –
winters are apparently like that.
I tried to balance
hanging out with them Czech assholes and school/work
responsibilities. Last week was the most hectic one in terms of
finals, final presentations and exams. I believe I have passed it all
though. Even the Chinese language. Speaking of that, I was invited to
participate in a 6 member feedback group formed out of Chinese
language students to make some comments on the way the course was
delivered. No idea why ended up among selected but it was a cool
event and we were given 100 RMB for participation. Cannot get mad for
that.
As for my guide
responsibilities, I showed my friends some cool shit I’ve
discovered since my arrival. We went to Powerstation of Art, I took
them to the game night with vegan buffet, we checked M50, got a vegan
brownie with some ice cream at Happy Buddha, had some veggie hot pots, ate shitton of
dumplings, drank lots of beer and wine, went to some bars (and to the party in C's where my Macedonian guy did like a 6 hour set), and watched some TV shows. I
even fit them into my room. They took my bed and I slept on the
floor. A friend of mine lent me a mattress which turned out to be
this giant king size thing… I kinda half inflated it so I could
squeeze it between the wall and the bed... It was fucking
awesome.
On the new year’s,
we went to the top of the building I sometimes hang out with with my
friends on, and shortly we were joined by a group of my classmates
and their friends. Like 10 people in total. This was probably
over the line, as for the first time ever, we got kicked out by a
guard. I sincerely do hope we didn’t fucked up the place forever.
The city was quite
quiet on the new year’s eve. We drank in a park close to South
Shaanxi metro station in the French Concession when someone pointed out that midnight is happening in
about 2 minutes. No people going crazy all around, no countdowns, no
fireworks. We toasted for brighter tomorrows, hugged it all out and
continued to Mirror to get some free booze. The club was almost empty
so we had a private party with lots of vodka. Eventually, everyone
went their own way and me, my friends, and a bottle for Smirnoff (which became my partner for the rest of the night)
continued to the Elevator. I barely remember anything from that but
we all got home safe… I’m kinda sorry we didn’t do the last
night of The Shelter but as I read afterward, police managed to shut
that joint down before midnight which is super fucked up as people
from different cities and countries came to witness that. Oh well…
So yeah, there we
have it… 2016 is over, UK is out of Europe, Trump is the
motherfucking president of the USA, world is still the same shithole
as it used to – now just a little closer to the doomsday. And boy,
it is coming. So what do I wish for 2017? I really don’t need shit… Still don’t know what I want, where to go
and how to become a fully functional human being… For others –
don’t believe every bullshit you see or read cause the world is not
black and white. Don’t fucking hate, don’t generalize, don’t
waste your time and energy on shit that don’t make you or others
happy and be aware… Be aware of what you do, what do you
participate in, what do you support… Try to go to supermarkets
less, try to buy less clothes and smart phones, try to eat less meat
and animal products, try not to wear leather shit… It ain’t solving
shit but being around people, who are aware at least of some shit, is
nice… No, we won’t save our planet, we won’t stop corporations
from destroying our environment, morality and souls and we won’t stop
nazis getting stronger all over Europe. But till this all goes to
hell, we can at least try… not to be complete assholes to each
other and to the world…
Highlights:
- Went to St. Peter’s church for a Christmas service. It was so packed they didn’t let people in anymore when I arrived (like 20 minutes before the start). So no new experience there…
- The current Biennale in Powerstation of Art. One of the best installations I have ever seen. Period.
- The glass under the kitchen stove cracking during cooking. That was fucking random...









No comments:
Post a Comment