This morning, I took a walk with my dad towards metro
station where he hopped on a train to the airport, and thus wrapped up his
trip to China. And boy, was it a fucking good one. We really saw lots of stuff,
got ourselves into some real random situations, met some awesome people and
drank liters of coffee and beer – the only
two items we actually spent some serious money on. Like really, there hasn’t been an alcohol-free day for me in
last two weeks which is something my dad is totally used to but my active vegan
ass is usually on the good old fashioned getting fucked up once or twice per week shit
Aight, so on Monday, we did another trip to the fucking fake
market cause my sis decided she wants some Chucks. Anyway, this time it was pretty
okay for me too, since I managed to get myself this small cruiser board. So it’s official, I own my very first skate
in this town and I expect that shit to upgrade the vibe of my anti-social
walks. Since this motherfucker is rather small, I might actually devote some
time to land at least an ollie or some shit. The evening that day was the shit though.
We went for this vegan 1+1 burger night at Happy Buddha and on the way back, we
stopped by at the Shanghai Brewery at Donghu Lu (my first time too) to try out
some of their beers. Since my dad smokes like a chimney, we took a table
outside and after couple of minutes, we noticed that two lovely ladies sitting
next to us speak Slovak. We started talking and they turned out to be dancers
traveling around Asia with this big ass Romeo & Juliet musical.
We had a great talk and they offered to get us tickets for it. So Thursday evening
program sorted itself out just like that.
Other than that, we managed to go all the way to the
terminal station of line 16, where they have this artificial Dishui Lake, which
we circled, we went to Shanghai Jewish Quarter, I took my dad to M50, to all
the great restaurants, beer spots and street food stands I’m aware of around here.
On Wednesday, I had to split because of my dissertation
proposal at the campus. I spent the morning perfecting it and in the afternoon,
it was my time to shine. I didn’t
really know what to expect, but it went super smooth. I got barely any
criticism and even some words of support, so it looks like I’m fucking set to go. One step closer
to being a PhD. Bitches.
Now back to this Romeo & Juliet thing. One of my
classmates actually attended one of the previous performances (the whole Shanghai leg
is on for like two weeks and it goes pretty much on daily basis) and she booked
her tickets like 7 months in advance, paying like 500 RMB for the second most
affordable ones. Chinese go real cray when it comes to shit like this and it's been sold out for a while. That kinda caught my attention. So this show started out in 2001,
it was written by this guy named Gérard
Presgurvic and they have sold the license all over the place.
However, this one was the real deal. The original French
production which tours the world for certain parts of the year. So we suited up,
met up for tickets handover and by 19:30 were sitting in Shanghai Culture
Square in seats located what might had been the most expensive area. Like 15th
row in the center. The venue is really nice, large, all modern and shit. From my experience, they are more than happy to spend money on things like this around here. However,
it ain’t got shit on the show
itself. I’m not really a musical kinda
guy but this was some serious AAA+ shit. The scenography, the choreography, the
dancers, the actors... Everything was totally on point. People singing their
hearts out, doing backflips, performing numbers so incredible that you had a
hard time following like 10% of that. And all of that felt totally real
emotion-wise. There wasn’t a
moment when I’d feel like “meh”. After
the thing, we got to Shanghai Brewery again to grab some more drinks with the
girls and some more members of the cast. This whole experience was just
beautiful.
Yesterday (Friday) was my dad’s last
night in town so I called up the gang and we met up at Papa’s. My dad clicked really well with
all of them so this whole two weeks thing ended on a great vibe too. I just
need to do something with the stacked-up sleep deprivation and beer overdose.
Nothing couple of days cannot solve.
Highlights:
- So I got a new barber. When I went for a haircut yesterday, my place got all renovated, slightly more expensive (that would not be a problem at all) but most importantly, there was no single person I would’ve seen before. So I figured since I have to teach a new guy to cut my fucking hair, I might as well find another super local spot. Which I did. Got my hair done by this middle aged Chinese lady, and in the process met this 17-year-old highschooler with surprisingly good English, saw a cat sleeping under the chair and all the cute chaos and mess in that small shop. Change is life.
- Bought tickets to this year’s Dragon Burn festival. That’s gonna be dope.
- New Cardi’s album. I love that girl. And Thugger's new EP. FIRE!!!








No comments:
Post a Comment