Sunday, September 13, 2020

Semester 9 Chapter II: Ain’t Nobody Know Shit About Shit

That kinda sums it up. See, Im no doctor, Im no medical expert, I have no idea how exactly this covid shit works. I dont know how fast it mutates, I dont know whats the magnitude of the actual threat, I dont know what measures are necessary and what are redundant. Theres one thing Im kinda wrapping my head around these days tho. This shit aint going nowhere. Its gonna be around. Tomorrow, next week, next month, next year. So the question here is, what happens next. From where Im standing it seems we are facing two options. Either keep following the trajectory were on currently, which is to keep everything semi-shut, keep all the travel restrictions in place and get ready for worse. Cause the thing is, shit is getting worse as we speak and theres no signs of slowing down. Or, at some point in the future, we gonna decide to roll the dice and let everything go. Which is like an impossible decision to make. Nobodys gonna take responsibility for that. So here we go. Nobody has answers, nobody can predict anything. Czech Republic is reporting numbers about four times higher compared to the peak season in the spring (which locked me in this country to begin with). Face masks indoors and on public transport are back on. Wizzair just sent me a link for a form I have to fill out before even attempting to board a plane next week. See, technically my Canary Islands adventure is still a go I have even arranged a nice little accommodation last week but that can change literally any hour. We are on red lists of like 7 EU countries already and with this ongoing trend, were gonna end up on way more. But fuck all that. I mean yeah, shit gets sad. I miss my people like crazy. Had a chance to talk to some of them last week and its just fucked up. We should be together listening to music, going out to parks, dancing, watching movies and be physically around each other. But you know what? Even with all that, we are still the more fortunate ones. I mean sure, I make less money than I did last year but Im good. Im more than good. The peace of my mind has not been too derailed, I got everything I need and even though its often from afar, I feel loved and blessed. But thats not the fucking case for so many. Ive been reading and hearing about people, communities and countries who just cant take this for much longer. You got people from less fortunate surroundings, you got people with less opportunities, you got people with weaker social ties. And theres so many of them. Which brings me back to where I started. What do we do with this situation? I dont have the answer but we seriously need to move to next level of discussing this. And let me just throw this universal basic income concept out there once again. Wont solve everything but has a potential to solve quite a lot. And let me send one more R.I.P. to David Graeber. Love!

 

Also, Travis Scott, if you dont get your ass out of here... Like how the fuck is one of the best artists coming up from this generation spending time doing deals with McDonalds in the midst of all of this. And I get it, Im white, Im privileged, I dont know what it truly means to see a black man being this successful in corporate America. Aight, cool. But let me be fully ignorant here and say fuck that too. We got people like Killer Mike, we got people like Trae or even Lil Baby who do amazing shit musically or socially to address the madness we are dealing with. And then you got this motherfucker doing lucrative ass deals with a company (and let me just bluntly assume that people running McDonalds are cynical middle aged white men, to whom you, Travis, give your stamp of approval and swag) which is directly responsible for giving both people and animals diseases, who is like a poster child of obesity and malnutrition, who is a major part of the totally irresponsible and unsustainable way we deal with diet, living beings and nature in general. And Im not here for it. Travis Scott did not need to get richer, he isnt solving anything with this and the example it gives is a horrible one. Hip-hop is the most influential music genre ever since music has been conceived and Travis is its royalty. And he should fucking think twice before doing some stupid shit like that. And let me just go on to say fuck Starbucks, fuck Burger King and fuck KFC (and the rest of yall too, Im totally running out of middle fingers here). And I dont care how many cool rappers you get for endorsement deals, I dont give a shit about your almond milk lattés and I also truly and most sincerely dont give a flying fuck about your vegan burgers. You fucking dicks. Just fuck off and die.

Ufff, that felt good. Well, lets get back to business. What have I been up to. So yeah, my dive school contacted me to make sure I wanna take advantage of accommodation they provide. Now, Im a humble guy, I really dont need much. When it comes to accommodation (especially if its short-term), all I need is a bed, an equipped kitchen and fast internet. I was quite surprised when they said theres no internet at the property and theres no way of arranging it. The idea of doing my online classes and other work I need internet for from cafés or directly from the dive center wasnt making me happy but I agreed. The day after, they messaged me apologizing that theres been misunderstanding and that they had accidentally booked their last room already. Fair enough. I did some more Googles, sent out some inquiries and in like 15 minutes, I had a Spanish guy named Manu calling my phone offering me a room in an apartment with kitchen and high-speed internet about 20 minutes walk from the center for about 100 EUR less. Based on a good word; to be paid on arrival. I mean, that did go well.

 

Over the week, I had a chance to go to my dads trivia night once more and to spend an evening at my sis. Outside of that I worked like a motherfucker. I am still in demand in teaching and in some other gigs I do from home. I have been also working on scheduling my shit in a way that would be as compatible with being in Tenerife as humanly possible. Shit kinda falls into place but as theres no telling if Ill actually go on Thursday, I try not to lean all my happiness against it. Gonna let you know how everything in the next blog.

So yeah, I still work out, I still run, I cook like all the time, I talk to my loved ones, I do my best to get by. Theres some shit I gotta change about my life, theres some shit I wanna go back to. There are people I cant wait to hug and kiss. So again, no matter where you at and no matter how low your lows might seem, trust me you are not alone. So many people deal with different versions of this and we can all relate. This is no time for bad energy and negative shit (and McDonalds deals, Mr. Astroworld). This is time for love and support. So once more, Im sending some of that your way. One!

 

Highlights:

  • P-Valley. Seems like a fucking awesome TV series.
  • New Conway the Machine, new Youngboy. New T.I. & Thug and Fredo Bang & Kevin Gates. Some fire shit right there.
  • Positive feedback from my students. Ive been getting quite a lot of that lately. Kudos!

No comments:

Post a Comment