Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Semester 14 Chapter XXIII: Climbs

Hi everybody, it’s that time of the week again so we’re back at it. Woke up quite early today, ready for another day in Vancouver. Weather has been good, entertaining things are happening, time flies. I’ve also just turned 36 and I’m still not sure how to feel about any of that. I don’t really see myself as a guy approaching his 40s just yet. I feel more secure and relaxed than before but I still see myself closer to 20s than to 40s (which is obviously bullshit). But I guess that’s what happens when you pick the lifestyle I got. Most of people my age deal with kids, the build homes and shit. And I’m not really interested in any of that. I am totally grateful for seeing another year tho, I’m happy with where I’m at and I wanna shout out all of my friends and close ones who make it all worthwhile.

 



So about last week… I took Tuesday off running because my face really burned after the weekend. The rest of the week, I was back on tho. I like my workout routine on weekdays. Wednesday afternoon, we went out, met some more Czechs living here and played some beach volleyball in a park nearby. Hadn’t played that shit in ages but it was fun, it wasn’t really that bad and we ended up playing couple of games with a group of locals too. My forearms hurt like a motherfucker tho. If you hit the ball right, you’re good, but if you slightly fuck it up, it just goes. Pain was gone couple of hours later tho so I see no reason not to repeat that shit sometime soon. We wrapped the evening up at their friends’ house like two blocks down with some beer and good chat.

 


Friday night, we paid a visit to the guys who we did the hike a week before with and Saturday around lunch time, we were on our way out of town. We had some pretty good burgers by the highway and then we headed to Squamish to rent me some climbing shoes. I took the opportunity to get myself a new wallet too. Had the same one for about ten years and it really didn’t resemble much of a wallet anymore. So yeah, that’s new. After that we took it to this climbing rock nearby. A bit off-road but still reachable by a car. Now, when it comes to climbing, physical strength is really not that important which is something you realize couple minutes in. It’s all about technique and mindset. You can’t be to afraid and you have to realize that your shoes, specifically you toes, can hold a lot of fucking weight on the tiniest pieces of surface. Shoes themselves are uncomfortable as fuck too. By design. They have to be smaller in order to actually function. So yeah, I obviously didn’t excel but I manage to climb some basic walls and I did enjoy it. Grateful for the experience. For the night, we headed to the same spot we camped two weeks ago, got joined by some more of fellow Czechs, ate some weed gummies (at one point I was tripping pretty good) and slept out in the nature.

 




Sunday morning, we got some good breakfast (this Just Egg vegan shit they sell over here is epic) and proceeded to climb some more rocks in the area. This time we actually had to hike about 30 minutes from the closest parking spot to get there. It was fucking great. It felt a bit better than the day before, I felt a bit more secure, it was fun. And the fucking views! It’s funny that sometimes it really feels like there’s no way you can figure out your way up the wall but if you keep it cool, stop, think and try couple of moves, you eventually make it. It’s fun, it’s pretty complex and it is rewarding. When we had enough, we drove to this lake on the way to Squamish where we met up with some more people, went for a swim (water was actually pretty warm) and then continued to the same bar in the town where we wrapped up our adventure the previous week. After a drink, we returned the shoes and made it back home. I put my friends on this Korean series Crash Landing On You so any change we get, we watch that shit. Both ironically and seriously. And that’s exactly how we finished the weekend. And since it was my b-day, I got a veggie muffin with a candle in it and we drank some good scotch. Great day.

 


And that’s that. Canada has been good to me, it’s yet another beautiful day out here, all good to go. Hope y’all have a good start of the week, keep it all positive and don’t entertain bullshit. We see each other. One!

 


Highlights:

  • Climbing.
  • Volleyball.
  • Fucking gummies.

No comments:

Post a Comment