Monday, March 12, 2018

Semester 4 Chapter III: Ain’t No Stoppin’



Okay, so Im back to the city Ive been calling home for the past year and a half, and fortunately, these days Shanghai is getting all nice, warm, sunny and generally optimistic. Before I go any further, let me sum up the rest of my bizarre Oklahoma stay. I did super long walks to get the vibe of the city and man... I can't imagine living there for a week. In addition to the absence of sidewalks and pretty much any kinda outdoors life, the place is way too far from anything I expect from a city. There are these huge areas covered only by small households no cafés, no shops, no parks. All is private, no trespassing signs (and you best believe all those motherfuckers are armed), no benches nothing. They got crazy amount of churches all over the place with signs in front of them calling against abortion, trashing anti-Israel viewpoints, and of course praising da lord. All these big ass cars, all these burger and tacos joints... Theres like drive thru versions of pretty much all businesses so people dont have to leave their vehicles at all. This one time, I bought a beer in a liquor store, found these remains of what used to be a house, sat on a piece of wall and just wasted time to see how it feels to do that shit over there. Now, besides me, there were only homeless people  hanging out across the street. Spending time outside, drinking and just walking around is one of my favorite things. In Oklahoma, its an activity reserved to homeless and criminals. It was a great experience but honestly, I was kinda looking forward to get back China.

 

As for the cool places over there, I like the city underground, which is this small network of tunnels underneath the city center with art exhibitions and info on city history. The memorial of 1995 city bombing is nice, the park across the street from the Devon Energy Center building is also pretty cool with swans, lake and lots of green. They have one 100% vegan restaurant called The Loaded Bowl which is quite amazing, and also this Holey Roller joint where they do delicious vegan donuts. So yeah, there are spots. But seriously... Like 2 days and youre straight.



The way back was kinda shit, cause I had an overnight layover in Chicago. Oh well. The flight back to Shanghai was aight as stewardesses were willing (again) to provide me with some complimentary liquor. Couple of tiny bottles of Jack, some beers and acceptable food made it bearable. I got to Pudong Airport last Thursday (March 8th) around 2pm, hopped on a subway, dropped my shit home and went straight for this dinner thing organized by my supervisor. It was like a meet up of students responsible for the schools social media, but we didnt really talk about that for long. In the evening, my bro had this b-day party in Papas which nice. I got shitfaced with beers and Johnnie Walker and headed back to my bed. Which felt really good.



I had lots to do over the weekend but I managed to drop by at another birthday party of one of my classmates and I also booked tickets to Hong Kong. Im doing this little spontaneous trip over there this week and Im pretty excited about it. Gonna tell you all about it (well, some of it) the next blog. So yeah, Im back on my routine here gym, runs, cooking all the basic shit I enjoy and I didnt really get to do over the past couple of weeks. And the weather... Wherever I end up after China, its gonna be somewhere tropical. Im done dealing with cold.




Highlights:

  • Lil Wayne Vizine & PRhyme 2.
  • Oklahoma sweatshirt I got in this hipster shop to commemorate my epic trip. I also managed to lose my uni hoodie tho. You win some, you lose some.
  • Got tickets to Zhangjiajie for me and my dad whos coming in like two weeks. Thats gonna be dope as hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment