Sunday, March 4, 2018

Semester 4 Chapter II: Oklahoma Czech-in



Okay, cause my life is getting little outta control with all the time zone jumps and my memory is fucking horrible, let me throw in the second chapter of this semester. I had a fucking long Thursday last week. Heres the list of things that I managed to do within one day: after some beers getting back home from Papas and getting some sleep, going to gym in the morning, grabbing a lunch, packing my shit, going to the airport, flying to Dallas, transferring, flying to Oklahoma City, waiting 2 hours for luggage that those motherfuckers lost, and catching a Lyft to Norman. Since I flew against the time, the day lasted forever. All days should be this long. 


Spending around 12 hours on an American flight to Dallas was pretty okay since I had three seats by the window all for myself, and since one of the elderly American stewardesses slipped me some small bottles of scotch that are normally charged. Pretty decent vegan food on board, enough sleep, all the fun with all the procedures required to step on the American soil, around 2 hours waiting, and hooray on a flight to Oklahoma. Now, when I mentioned Im going to Oklahoma to my U.S. friends, I got usually hit back with either Never been there, Why?, or You know theres nothing there, right?. So there I was... On my way to the most exciting state in the U.S.A.


Shortly after touchdown, I found out that the good people of the American Airlines lost my baggage in Dallas (theres a first time for everything), but luckily, they put it on another flight landing in two hours, so I just waited, watching a podcast and talking to the lady working at the baggage spot. She told me that Brad Pitt is actually from Oklahoma. She didnt say why the fuck he left though.


Now, you gotta understand something about Oklahoma. Theres pretty much no public transportation here. As an experienced backpacker and a real European motherfucker, I initially searched for bus connections between the airport and my destination town of Norman, only to find out theres none. So it was either taxi or those taxi alternatives which are like 2 times cheaper. No brainer. I got picked up by this Mexican stoner and we had really weird conversation for about half an hour. The area around here is fucking crazy. Theres almost no resemblance to anything you know from Europe. Almost no tall buildings, some shopping malls, car retailers and different businesses by the highway, and other than that just these small households with lawns, flags, porches and all of that stereotypical small town American shit you know from movies. He dropped me off in front of one of these houses where I was greeted by my Airbnb host. This nice lady had a dog and an extra room which I got for two nights. Hotels in Norman are totally overpriced (plus I dont really like hotels). This turned out to be really good. Almost like couchsurfing. We talked a bit, I made friends with the dog... Pretty cool.


The next morning, I got on my way to the Gaylord College of Oklahoma University, where the conference I came for took place. No, Gaylord College isnt a funny name. At all. At fucking all. No way. It was around 3 kilometers and since I had time, I decided to take a walk. And boy, was that fun. In America, they dont even count with the possibility of pedestrians occurring. Many streets and roads have no sidewalks, and for the most part, I didnt see anyone else walking. I was kinda afraid someone might call the cops. Well, I guess nobody did so I arrived, registered, got a name tag and a bag with some materials, ate breakfast and spent the whole day hitting different classrooms (there were several panels and presentations were happening simultaneously in different lecture halls and classrooms), listening to contributions delivered by students and academics from all over the States. I was the only guy coming from a non-American university and one of very few non-native speakers. Overall, quality of the contributions didnt exactly boost my ego. Lot of that shit was top notch while my shit was really kinda basic and full of issues I was already aware of.  After the dinner at the campus, I walked back to my spot and slept on it. I gotta shout out the organization tho... Everything was smooth, there was lotta coffee, fruits and (probably as a result of my request) always at least one meal in the buffet (usually mushrooms), clearly labeled as vegan.


Before I move to the next day, let me tell you... There are lots of morbidly obese Americans in Oklahoma. And Im not talking boy, hes fat kinda obese. Im talking people having their own orbits around them. Like fucking triple belly. Im not sure why do they do that to themselves but I guess no walking, driving their fat asses in those ridiculously huge cars, and diet consisting of burgers and chicken wings dont exactly help much. Plus Norman is one of the most boring places I have ever seen. There's literally nothing over there, except of the campus.


Well, Saturday was the day. I didnt sleep very well and I got little anxious. This whole shit felt like a dream a little bit. I mean... Like 4 days before I was riding a scooter around Bali, eating gado gado and drinking coconuts... I took all of my things, called Lyft and went back to Gaylord. Yeah, Gaylord. Not funny. I checked some presentations in the morning and finally did mine after the lunch. And all of my fears just vanished. Both moderator of my panel and my discussant were extremely friendly, gave me props for an interesting topic and provided me with super constructive feedback and suggestions on how to improve that thing. That was a huge relief... Honestly...


I checked some of the last presentations, called myself another Lyft and moved my ass to Oklahoma City for my second Airbnb spot. This time, I got picked by a former soldier, gun enthusiast and a Trump supporter. What was pretty cool though, when we got into politics, we really listened to each other. And he even agreed with lots of my leftist bullshit. I mean, we really found some common grounds and he was totally open to accept some of my points. Some serious kumbaya shit. People should listen way more often... Talking is heavily overrated, silence is underrated as hell....


My current Airbnb place is dope too. It's close to downtown and I got this couch in the living room. My host seems aight as well. In the evening, I took a walk around the city. Theres one skyscraper, couple of office buildings in the center, wide roads with no people on them... If it wasnt for couple of people in the park by the skyscraper, this place would be a total ghost town. Its really ridiculous. I walked for a bit, and on the way back ran into this food court with some beer stands. My first attempt to get a lager failed, cause the lad wanted to see my ID. I hated him and loved him at the same time. I succeeded at the next beer stand... The guy wanted to see ID too but eventually rolled the dice and gave me a can of some Boston Ale for 5 bucks. I sat on a bench and drank my victory drink surrounded by Americans stuffing themselves with fried shit and meat, watching sports on TVs and playing some retarded game... Pretty much throwing a bag full of shit into a hole in a piece of wood. Looked like the least fun game Ive ever seen. But just chilling and drinking the cold one felt really good.


Highlights

  • Gaylord College.
  • My Chinese uni finally approved this trip. So it looks like Im getting reimbursed after all. Thank god.
  • Young Scooter Triple Cross. Just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment