Monday, April 8, 2019

Semester 6 Chapter IX: Trails & Bamboo


Hello everybody, the summer is finally here! For whatever reason, we basically skipped spring and went straight to that. It feels great... Sky is blue, streets are warm, vibes are alright, and your favorite blog is right on the fucking deck with some updates on Shanghai... So without further ado, lets get to it!


When it comes to new discoveries within the city, I gotta mention this beer spot at Changle Lu, close to Xiangyang Lu. My friends discovered it couple of months back but up until last week, I hadnt tried it out. Its a perfect spot for doing a cold one when its warm outside. Some chairs thrown out on the sidewalk, cheap beer, lotta people chilling... Feels like its gonna become one of our go to places throughout the following weeks. I ended up going there last Monday and Sunday. Definitely can recommend.


On Thursday, I met some of my peers at Abbey Road again for a trivia night. Even though we didnt win shit this time around, I totally killed the shots-for-the-whole-table question. They asked about animals involved in the Big 5 hunting game popular in Africa back in the day. Since I got them all tatted up on my left hand, that shit was a piece of cake....


Friday was a state holiday. Some of my veggie friends invited me to join them for a two days trip to Shaoxiang to do some hiking. There was 5 of us, we met up after lunch at Hongqiao Railway Station, hopped on a train, and in less than two hours ended up in the city. Shaoxiang is one of the smaller Chinese cities with population around 4 million. And man, the construction is going on there heavy... It almost feels as the city has to grow into all of that. The roads have way more lanes that needed, theres lots of residential areas being built... Shit, they even construct their first metro lines over there. Theres no doubt that in couple of years, the whole thing is gonna look totally different.


We checked into our hotel and went out to find a spot for a dinner. Gotta say, its pretty cool traveling with vegans. I mean, you dont have to explain anything to anybody, you are on the same page as far as food goes... And even though we did not have any Chinese among us, basically everyone but me speaks Chinese which made getting around super easy. Theres this Wechat app for vegetarians with restaurant tips all over China (similar to Happy Cow, but with way more spots listed), so we used that one and ended up at a Buddhist veggie spot. 17 RMB for all you can eat buffet. Im talking like 30 options (noodles, potatoes, dumplings, all kinds of veggies, tofu, fruits, pancakes, cakes...), We did dinner over there both days... The food was absolutely amazing but its impossible not to take it too far. You just wanna taste everything so you end up stuffed as hell. Gotta give it up to them. For the price, it doesnt even make any sense. 


On Saturday, we got up around 6, did a coffee and some fruits, and hopped in a cab to get to the start of Rizhuling trail. The whole shit was absolutely amazing. The summer finally kicked in so it was super warm and sunny, the nature was amazing and the trail took us through fields, meadows, forests, hills and tiny villages. And the best part there was barely anyone around. I was a bit worried about that as it was holiday... Apparently, theres a bamboo season going on these days so in the villages we got to see people drying out bamboo along with picked veggies out there in the sun. We even stopped got us some hot soy milk in this small restaurant at one point, and they didnt even charge us. You could tell that most of people over there dont get to see laowais very often... Oh yeah, and the whole team brought way more awesome vegan snacks than needed. Sandwiches, cakes, cookies, fruits. It was just awesome shit on awesome shit on some more awesome shit.


Around 4pm, we wrapped our hike up at another village. The whole thing could be around 15-20km but the most challenging part was elevation. Lotta stairs, lotta hills. Felt good as hell tho. Since bus connections are not very frequent over there and take crazy amount of time, we seeked for an alternative solution back to town. Fortunately, there was (literally) one cab parked close to the bus station (Didi did not fly and the bus wouldn't go in another hour, and would take like 2 and a half hours), and the driver eventually showed up. The motherfucker didnt mind taking 5 people aboard so in less than an hour, we were back in our restaurant. Did another awesome dinner, grabbed a coffee and headed to the railway station. By 11pm, I was back home. Grabbed a cold beer on the way to make sure I sleep like a baby. Which is exactly what happened. Since everyone had a great time, theres a good chance we will try to make this a thing and do more hikes around Shanghai in the following weeks. Im all for it. Oh yeah, and I brought a pack of dried bamboo and some oranges from there. Could not resist.




So yeah, got some new rnb in my headphones, Im writing this shit at 7am with my window wide open, feeling good... I hope you got summer kicking in too wherever you at, I hope yall good, and thanks for wasting your time reading this.... One!


Highlights:

  • R.I.P. Nipsey. I hate still hate that shit. The legacy lives on.
  • The whole hiking thing. Nuff said.
  • Wearing short sleeves in Shanghai again. God, I missed that!

No comments:

Post a Comment