Monday, January 4, 2021

Semester 9 Chapter XVII: Scratches & Turns

Yo, so 2021 is here. In terms of covid, were not looking at the best start. Everything seems to be getting absolute shit yet again so lets hope that the vaccination is gonna make some positive difference. Also, UK is finally out of EU so that bullshit is over. Im still not sure wtf was all of that about but here we go. In many ways 2020 did not put the bar too high tho, so hopefully this year is gonna turn out a bit better. I feel we all deserve that. 

 

For me this past week was loads of work again. I had some students to certify, some fun dives to lead and whole lots of miles to drive in between. On Monday, I kinda scratched a fucking car while parking in Tabaiba. It was really just a scratch and I barely noticed it but there was this Spanish lady inside the car and she insisted on exchanging insurance info. Since she was not speaking English at all, I really appreciated having this new divemaster intern, who happens to be from Cuba, around. All went well, no biggie. Apart from Tabaiba, we did dives in Las Eras, El Poris and Abades.


And then there was New Years. I honestly didnt have any plans all the way up until 31st morning. Then I went diving with this girl I certified recently and since she was in a similar situation we figured we might as well meet up in the evening, and she ended up inviting another two of her friends. Now, the regular closing hour of bars during the pandemic is 9pm. However, since it was New Years Eve, the generous Canaries government extended it till 11pm. Which does not make any fucking sense if you ask me. Either allow people to actually wait up until midnight or dont change anything. Anyway, we met up in this El Puerto spot in Puerto Colon, stayed till 11 and then bought some more beers and whiskey in this convenient store (those motherfurckers apparently run 24/7 no matter the curfew) and chilled out in a park waiting for the midnight. I got pretty drunk and got home shortly after 1am I think (which was the extended curfew for the day; normally its 10pm).

 

Friday was a free day and I took full advantage of that. Since I dont suffer from hangovers ever, I was up around 7am and after like forever, I put on my running shoes and went for a run. Was kinda worried that those couple of months of not running would have done some damage to my stamina and comfort level but it all went smooth. Made me realize how much I missed that. Then I did my resistance band workout and spent the rest of the day relaxing, watching series and taking walks around the town.

 

On Sunday, our New Years squad got together again for a trip all the way up north to a different part of Anaga. I hopped into the van, picked up my friend, then we headed to the airport where we picked up the couple (they were returning their rental car over there) and we proceeded to Santa Cruz, where we got joined by this Cuban intern. From there it took us about 40 minutes of super narrow roads with sharp turns to reach our destination. The guys parents live in Santa Cruz so we just followed his recommendations. The villages name was Chamorga and it was our starting point of about 7km hike across the hills and valleys with spectacular views on the sea and nature. Completely different from our last weeks hike. Way more rocks, no woods, whole bunch of cacti (ha!). Super nice. After that we got some drinks in the only café in town and headed back. And I did some serious driving. Not only I had to do that impossible shit back to Santa Cruz again, it was raining too and the visibility was total crap. Im really leveling up with my driving over here. The guy invited us to his parents home, where we got some more beers and mezcal (this Mexican liquor made out of cacti... I fucking love that word). And around 7pm, I was driving everybody back to Los Christianos. Parking the van in the evening and going home for some dinner felt real good.

 

And thats it. New week has started, got some diving ahead of me today and also, my teaching schedule is coming back to normal after holidays. Im gonna be busy. I wish 2021 is good to us. Well see how everything goes. Im gonna talk to you next week again. In the meantime, stay safe, stay positive and dont entertain bullshit. One!


 

Highlights:

  • Family Guy. Almost forgot how amazing that show is.
  • My driving skill improving day by day. Im really making progress here.
  • My diving students. I really fucking appreciate all the positive feedback I get. Feels great.

No comments:

Post a Comment