Monday, March 15, 2021

Semester 10 Chapter V: Air Share

Whats up yall. It another Monday and you already know what that means. Your favorite blog back on. Everything is good over here, Im enjoying life and I sure as hell hope you do too. Before I carry on with this motherfucker, let me share my two cents about my current relationship with hip-hop. I wouldnt call it crisis cause... Well, that shit is deep in my DNA and it aint going nowhere. But I honestly do feel its time to for me kick out some artists out of my sphere. I like ignorance (to some degree), I like flexing, I like contradictions. Words are just words and I believe that the important shit happens between the lines anyway. So most of the shit dont really phase me. On the contrary, I dont expect fucking Migos to rap about politics (and I honestly dont want them to). But... I also think there are very few reasons to be a straight up misogynistic pig and to blindly follow trends set by the system. So yeah... T.I. is out my playlists (and trust me, that hurts). I also feel its time to kinda address all this designer brands praising in raps. Often even the woke rappers flex whatever brands have been popular within the genre which leads to ridiculous situations. How are you to promote equality and black empowerment if you rock brands which have proven to be absolutely tone deaf when it comes to social issues (hi, Gucci) and are also completely owned by white people who genuinely dont give a shit (this also connects to my issue with black community embracing capitalism which feels like shooting oneself into a leg; Ill get to that in a different blog tho). I mean... Hip-hop is the shit. Its the most influential and popular genre in the universe. It carries so much drive and style, generations of people have been affected by it. And its impact goes well beyond its own borders. So why the fuck would you support some overpriced bullshit that has nothing to do with you instead of creating new things. I mean, you could argue that it is not my fight (even though I feel thats debatable) but it really gets annoying. Dont get me wrong, there are still artists that I really enjoy. Its just... Especially in these times, I would love to see some changes taking place in the culture as a whole. Maybe its coming tho... Who knows. 


Okay, so back to my life in Tenerife. Last week was pretty chilled. I accepted two new students both of whom I enjoy, I worked quite a lot, I extended my runs, I worked out, I swam. I also hung out with one of the few friends who are still physically at the island here and there in the evenings. Life has a very nice pace here. Ive been also sending out my CV to bunch of dive shops hoping for the best.


On Saturday, I got picked up by this dive shop owner from El Medano, who drove me to Garachico where the in-water SSI Crossover took place. I wasnt nervous at all. At this point, Im pretty confident under water and this whole thing felt like a piece of cake. And it turned out to be just that. It was me, another instructor and the main SSI guy. I got to demonstrate and perform air share which is super basic. It all went real fast and around noon we were celebrating the success with a beer in a bar nearby. So yeah... Im both PADI and SSI at the moment. Which still doesnt guarantee anything but it kinda increases my employability. Well see how shit goes... I spent the rest of the day chilling, walking around and watching movies.


Sunday, I met up with a friend at the Costa Adeje bus station and we went to Santiago del Teide. Its a lovely town I had passed couple of times before but never really spent any time over there. We walked around for a bit, dropped by in a café by the church and then went for a hike following a random trail. Thats something I enjoy here. Trails are really well marked. Reminds me of the Czech Republic a bit. We chose Puerto de Santiago which was about 8km away and the kike was beautiful. Throughout hills with lava rocks and cacti with views at the mountains and the sea... Real nice. We eventually made it to Los Gigantes where we parked it at one of the towns beaches with a view on the massive cliffs Los Gigantes is famous for. Also my first time over there. I made it home around 8pm. Day well spent.

 

This week I intend to focus mostly on work and I also got some diving planned. I spoke to some of my people back home and it looks that I might have some visits over here sometime soon after all. If covid allows. Got that Clever album playing now, got my hosts cooking some Indian dish in the kitchen, sun is shining, all is in peace. Hope yall good too... Sending some love out there. One!

 

Highlights:

  • Im an SSI instructor!
  • The hike.
  • My new students. Super interesting people.

No comments:

Post a Comment