Sunday, June 6, 2021

Semester 10 Chapter XVII: Road Trips & Homecomings

Aight, so check this out. As I mentioned the last time, I was asked to do a quick trip to the Czech Republic this past week to load the van with some shit and bring it back. It didn’t take me too long to accept that challenge. The interesting moment was realizing that it’s even doable. Me feeling comfortable enough driving 700+ km in one day aside, it felt surreal to be able to get into a vehicle in the morning and be at my dad’s place in the afternoon. See, every time I’ve lived abroad, coming home felt like a fucking project that needs to be carefully mapped out, thought through and put together weeks in advance. And it ain’t cheap neither. So wrapping my head around how easy this shit is in my current situation took a minute. 

 

Anyways, Monday morning I went diving with this German guy who popped up in the shop. I’m fucking killing shit at Girandealla. Given the fact I haven’t really had a chance to properly get familiar with the site, my orientation is totally on point. It was another deep dive. Good visibility, massive jelly fish, whole schools of fish floating around. All the good stuff. And I got back to the entry point. Straight up. The guy was super happy and he left the first review for our shop online (yeah, that’s how old-school my boss is – this shop barely exists on the internet). 

 

Tuesday morning I got up early, went for a breakfast, threw my backpack into the van and off I went. I feel real good driving now but I hadn’t had experience with such a long distance so I was wondering how that’s gonna go. And it was great. Well, apart from Croatian border when this fucking guy decided that a tatted-up guy in a van has to be a drug smuggler so he stopped me, asked me turn the engine off and step out of the car. Then he spent about 20 minutes inspecting the van’s completely empty trunk and sniffing around my boxers and socks. To some people, I’m such a usual suspect... The rest of the journey was all smooth tho. I had some hip-hop blasting the whole time and since it was mostly highways, I was just relaxing, enjoying the sun a watching the world passing by. I dropped the van in the town my boss lives in, he drove me to Brno and before 6pm I reunited with my dad and his gf. There was a bag of cashews on the table as a welcome gift and an amazing vegan dish ready for me waiting on the stove. And some beer. And some whiskey. Plus one of my closest friends happened to be in Brno for one last night that day. So we went out for some drinks afterwards. Czech government has lifted some of the covid restrictions so the city is back alive. Weather is nice, restaurants are reopening, there’s young people everywhere. We ended up drinking some more beer at one of the squares in the city and it was awesome. So many people, such a great vibe. Kids wearing some crazy ass clothes, people vibing to some music. I got reminded of how cool my hometown gets to be. 

 

Wednesday evening I went to my sis’. This time around my nephew actually ran towards me and gave me a hug. Now, when a 2-year-old does that it really melts your heart a little. The rest of the evening was just amazing. I just love them for who they are, for what kinda family they’ve become, for the environment they’ve created for the little one. That energy is beautiful. 

 

I spent my Thursday evening at one of my bro’s spot just outside of Brno with some Jameson and Laphroaig and did a sleepover over there. The next evening I caught up with the last of my dayones who also happened to visit Brno. In a way, it’s absolutely crazy that during those couple of days everyone I love in the Czech Republic was around and available. And it was yet another awesome night. There was this dj playing some techno in front of a café and again… So many people, such a vibe. I met some new people and even one girl who recognized me as a guy she matched with on Tinder years back. We never actually went out (because Tinder is shit and for the most part, people have no idea why the fuck are they even swipe on it – that includes me) but she was also cool as hell and I stayed with the group we formed till about 1am. Wanted to stay longer but I didn’t want to overdo it. 

 

See, Saturday morning I got up early again, got some breakfast with the seniors, my dad walked me to the van and I was back on the road. This time I was even faster and I was in Rabac after 3pm. Went for a run, taught one class and went for a dinner to the hotel. In the evening, I had another catch up call with a friend I met in Tenerife. 

 

So yeah, pretty eventful week. Throughout all of that, I kept myself busy with my classes, devoted some time to reading and music. Got Carter 2 bumping in the dive shop at the moment and I’m looking forward for whatever next week’s gonna bring. Shout to all of my people back home! You guys are the shit for real for real. One!


Highlights:

  • Foushée – I’m in love with that girl’s vibe.
  • Driving. Who would have thought that I’ll end up doing shit like that.
  • The dive. LOVE. THAT. THING.

No comments:

Post a Comment