Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Semester 11 Chapter XVI: Flashing Lights

Okay, last week has been a fucking ride. At the moment, I’m at the Vienna airport looking out this big ass window, watching planes go by. It’s a sunny day and in couple of hours, I’ll be chilling back in Tenerife. Lotta shit happened tho so let’s get right into it.

 

The beginning of last week was pretty awesome. Me and the girl I probably hang out the most on the island got ourselves some tanks and went to El Tablado to do a dive (my first time doing that site). Not for pay, not with clients, just two instructors going for a fun dive. Now, it’s often said that people in diving should do this here and there but the truth is they rarely do. You usually don’t have much time and when you finally have some, you incline towards doing anything but diving. And honestly, if it wasn’t for a fact that business is basically non-existent in the dive shop these day, we might have not gone for it in the first place. It was super nice tho. Nothing particularly out of the order in terms of things to see down there, but it was super relaxing and recharging. Afterwards, we stayed on the sun for some time and then we drove back to Los Cristianos, making a short coffee stop on the way.

 

I also managed to deal with my car. Eventually, I went with the same mechanic that fixed some minor shit on it when I was buying it. The guy is super nice. Seems like a pretty tough Romanian but when you speak to him for couple of minutes, you find out that he’s just a loving dad that puts good energy and his loved ones above all. Plus he speaks good English and I feel pretty comfortable having a car guy who I can communicate with. He ended up changing the whole distribution kit, water pump, fixed a leak in the engine and kinda fixed the sound system too. It’s not perfect but it’s way better. If the car’s gonna be good for a bit, it was 250 EUR well spent.

 

I also managed to grab a beer some divers in Medano, I was out with my friend from London couple of times (once in Los Cristianos, once in 33 Vueltas) and I spent Saturday morning with the diver girl. We hung out in Las Galletas and she eventually dropped me at the airport. I figured she might as well use my car when I’m not here.

 

I made it to my bro’s apartment in Prague Saturday night and we ended up talking till like 4am. At 9:30 I was already on a bus to Brno, I did lunch with the fam and went for a walk with the dog after which we proceeded to my sis’ apartment for dinner. Later on, we got joined by some of my closest people who have lived in Canada for these past couple of years. Seeing them in person again felt absolutely beautiful and surreal. I feel we immediately got on our back-in-the-day wave. Good shit. And man.. Being with the family was so good. My nephew is still uncontrollable and full of energy, his moms are gorgeous and my dad is doing great with his partner. Shit makes me filled with joy. I even got some gifts as I’m not gonna be around for the actual Christmas Eve.


Monday was insane tho. I woke up early do go do my PCR test. I don’t really think I need it to get back to Tenerife (to tell the truth, I didn’t really need anything on the way to Prague; on the paper it looks super strict but in reality I wasn’t asked to show neither vaccination certificate nor negative test at any point) but I really wanna be 1000% sure I’m gonna get back there. As much as I love my people back home, I can’t risk getting stuck in the Czech Republic for the winter. Wouldn’t survive it. When I got back home, I found out that my laptop decided to go dead on me. Wouldn’t go past BIOS giving me critical hard drive failure prompts and shit. I tried to play with it for a minute but the situation was clear. Laptop decided to go to the computers’ heaven. Unfortunately, my job and my lifestyle does not allow me to go couple of weeks without a laptop so I stormed out the flat and went to get a new one straight away. So yeah, got a new one. And since I’m a fucking idiot who doesn’t back up anything ever, I’ve lost whole bunch of shit including some pretty useful textbooks and passwords. Fuck me. I put my old one into a repair shop so we’ll see what can be done.

 

 

In the afternoon I went to my dental clinic where we decided we are not doing any more braces. Shit is good now. I’m gonna wear retentions for some time and I’m gonna do whitening at some point but the teeth are straight. It’s still hard to believe but it feels awesome. In the evening, I met up with my Canadian friends, with my YLP bro and with my sis and them again. I also ran into couple of people I at night. Great vibes. When I woke up, I enjoyed breakfast with my dad and his partner. Dad also walked me to the bus station. These three day flew by so fast but it was so good. I’m sleep deprived as fuck but that doesn’t bother me at all. I’m getting back in March to do some tattoos, to finalize the teeth and possibly do some trips and I can’t wait to spend some more time with everybody. It’s all love.

Well, now it’s back to that sunny island. Since I haven’t really spoken to anybody at the dive center in more than a week, I really have no idea what the fuck is going on over there or if I’m still somewhat a part of that operation. Guess, the following days will show. I’m not worried at all tho. I’m bringing a new wetsuit and I’m sure I’m gonna find a way to dive one way or another. Before I go, I would love to thank everybody back home once more. I don’t take this for granted and I feel blessed for all of it. One!

Highlights:

  • Fam.
  • Friends.
  • All the delicious Christmas food.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment