Monday, December 1, 2025

Semester 19 Chapter XIII: Detours

Hello world, here we go again. It’s a lovely Sunday evening, I’ve had a pretty fucking amazing weekend and the last thing on my to-do list is a sauna session which starts in about an hour. Energy levels are good, spirits are high, let’s get to this…


The working week was not that eventful. To be honest, weather was kinda shit and although I managed to do some running, I barely did anything outside yoga, work and an occasional workout. The real fun started at the weekend. Saturday morning, I took a bus to Amsterdam to catch up with one of my dear friends over there. It was exactly what I expected. Good food, good talks, lotta fun. In the evening, we went to this Brazilian dance performance. It took place in a former church, it was two people (a woman and man) dancing and it was all modern. Meaning, there was a lot of improvisation and it all felt very expressive. It did touch me tho. I was projecting all kinds of narratives and things into it. Both dancers were great, both were gorgeous, and after the whole thing I had a chance to spoke to the guy. See, it all happened because the guy had served as a model at a sculpting class my friend takes. All in all, a really good event. It was all sponsored by the Brazilian embassy which provided some wine too. On the way back, we got some kofte wraps at this Turkish bistro and shortly after we called it a day. Gotta say, I fucking love the mixture of different people and cultures here. That’s definitely one of the most positive things in this country. It’s so interesting, it’s so colorful and even thought there are problems, all these different people share this space, they share their stories, their cultures, their cuisines. I wish the Czech Republic had a bit more of that.

 


This morning after breakfast, I headed back to The Hague. Since I’d parked my bike at the central station in The Hague the day before, I just hopped on it and met with some guys from the cycling/running club for a coffee ride. It’s a thing they do here and there on a random Sunday. About 30km with a coffee break somewhere on the way. And boy, did that shit get interesting. About 13km from home on the way back, I got a flat. Which would not have been an issue as I did carry an extra inner tube, pump and all the tools necessary to replace it. One guy was nice enough to stick with me and we found out fast that my quick release at the wheel axis is completely jammed. We did managed to loosen it up and change the tube but we couldn’t tighten it back up. By that time, we’d got joined by another of the squad heroes who wasted no time and called one of his bike repair pros who happened to be at his workshop not too far away. So there we were, dealing with the issue straightaway on a Sunday afternoon. Mind you, all of repair shops were obviously closed so without that gentleman, I would have been pushing my bike towards the nearest tram station and the adventure would have ended right there. Now, the guy we went to is one of the most seeked bike guys in the city. Used to work for Lola, now he has his own thing. He was super nice, he made us some coffee, he quickly changed everything and since he happened to have a set of decent tires, I asked him to changed them too. Mine were worn out as fuck. Nice little 70EUR burned but that’s what happens when you get an old bike and use it like all the time. I’ve recently got a new chain, new back shift gear wheel and now those things. And honestly, I was just happy it all worked out the way it did, that a solution just landed like that on a silver platter and that I don’t have to deal with any of that shit tomorrow. My bike is fixed, it’s good and it’s ready to go for sauna and for all the shit I got planned tomorrow. So yeah, shout out to my bike group connect and shout out to the guy who fixed that… Day saved and properly enjoyed.


And that’s about that. I’ve just done some cleaning, watched two episodes of the new Stranger Things and I’m knackered. Gonna push myself into full-mode tiredness with this sauna thing and then I’m out. Shout out to all the cyclists, all the runners, vegans and everybody fighting the good fight. Keep it light, keep it positive, don’t entertain bullshit and don’t let them fuck with your inner light. One!


Highlights:

  • Amsterdam.
  • Cycling.
  • People.

No comments:

Post a Comment