Tuesday, December 9, 2025

Semester 19 Chapter XIV: All That’s Left Of You

Fuck it, I’m just gonna start with this. Yesterday evening, I had a chance to see a new Palestinian movie called All That’s Left Of You. And listen, I’m not gonna sit here acting like I know everything or that history isn’t complicated. I would just really like to recommend this piece to anybody who still somehow feels that whatever has been happening in Gaza is or can be justified. I’ve had the most heated arguments about this with some of my closest people and at this point I’m just tired of it. I’m tired of seeing that bullshit narrative in the news, I’m tired explaining that genocide is bad, I’m tired of clarifying that a Palestinian does not equal a terrorist etc. It’s quite fascinating how many reasonably smart people become completely detached, racist and brutal when it comes to this topic. And granted, the global narrative has shifted but it isn’t anywhere close to where it needs to be. This movie is beautiful, it’s touching, it’s gentle, it’s layered and it is a testimony to what’s been going on over there for generations. Found myself tearing up couple of times.


Okay, back to this thing. The Hague has been quite cold but we have been witnessing temperature increase in recent days. Two days ago, I ran 23km on a lovely cloudy day at 10 degrees. It can’t get much better than that in terms of running conditions. The one objectively fucked up thing is obviously the daylight. Not nearly enough of that. But we gonna hit the rock bottom soon and then the tables start turning again.


In the past 10 days, I managed to attend a really nice dinner at a friend’s place and I visited Filmhuis twice. It’s a cinema downtown that screens mostly alternative movies and even tho I’d been there only once prior, stars aligned and there was a reason to go there on two consecutive days. The first film I saw was Bugonia which was quite violent but also super playful and it might pour some fuel into all the conspiracy theories rabbit hole internet meme lords. Good watch. The second movie was the one I started this whole blog entry with.


Other than that it’s been workouts, it’s been runs, it’s been some reading. I’ve watched all four of the Stranger Things episodes released in the first batch and although I’d forgotten pretty much everything from the previous seasons (honestly, no idea how most of those characters ended up where they were), I really enjoyed it. Some good TV right there. A friend of mine has also sent me an opportunity to do some diving volunteering in Malaysia and man… The whole idea excites the fuck out of me. I’m in touch with the research station over there already and if everything goes well, I’ll be doing couple of weeks at the station sometime next year. God willing.


And that’s that. Worked quite a lot today, got a bit more work ahead still. Also got a yoga class coming up in about 2 hours – I really wanna stress once more how much I love that shit. My hamstrings are still fucking stiffed but most of other things are slowly evolving. Super grateful for that activity. Anyways, hope y’all well and all is going just the way you want it. Keep it light, keep it positive, don’t entertain bullshit and don’t let them fuck with your inner light. One!


Highlights:

  • Yoga.
  • Movies.
  • Dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment