Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Semester 19 Chapter XXII: 30,000 Feet In The Air

Aight, this is the first one I’m writing on a plane. I think. Apologies for the wait, life has been moving quite fast and I simply didn’t have a chance to write another chapter. At the moment, I’m on my way to Agadir. It’s mainly because of my dad. See, the old-timer doesn’t have that many hobbies. He likes beer and cigarettes and hanging at his pub. And then he likes traveling. So last Christmas, me and sis decided to give him this trip (as the two of us are not that into drinking beer and smoking at his pub). We’ve eventually got joined by one of our friends with her kid so there’s a group of 5 going. One week in Morocco, here we come!

 


Life in the Czech Republic has been mainly about work and dealing with a pretty fucked up situation which I’m not gonna get into just yet. It’s all in process but trust me, once everything is said and done, I will spill everything on these pages. For the time being, let me just say I’ve had about a hundred “wow” moments within the past two weeks and I don’t think I’ve ever experienced such moral trash. I’m pretty sure none of the people involved in this follow this blog but if you do… Fuck off. And stay the fuck away from with that type of energy. Forever. And I really fucking mean it. Don’t think I’ve ever felt this level of disgust towards anybody before. Yours truly.


I’ve been very consistent with all the good shit. Yoga, workouts, sauna. I’ve reduced running to once a week as my thigh has been acting up since December but it feels it’s pretty much back to normal so I’ll start adding up. Being in Brno definitely makes me a bit more social. Especially over the weekends. Which is a welcomed change.


Last weekend, I ended up going to Prague. One of my best friends is getting his arm tatted by another of my best friends which felt like a good opportunity to tag along. Arrived Saturday afternoon, spent the whole evening in the studio, did some bar crawling later on. Sunday, we walked around the city, had some brunch, did a photo shoot of the arm and watched Only Lovers Left Alive at my friend’s. He has a projector so we had full cinema treatment. After that, it was back to Brno.

 


Last Friday, I joined one of those two guys for a beer (still non-alcoholic, shout out to my sober gang) along with his daughter. It trips me out that one of my bros has a 20-year-old kid. The girl is heavily into metal and hardcore which is a universe I know nothing about. She kept talking about all the sub-genres and different waves and it all sounded like gibberish to me. The highlight was learning that there’s something called Depressive Suicidal Death Metal (which is apparently a thing) and Incel-core (which also exists). Anyways, there was a hardcore punk concert around the corner that evening and we eventually all headed there. My friend has some experience with this type of shit but I’m really fully green. I did score some points with my visual. Black clothes and tattoos everywhere make you blend which put me at ease a bit. Other than that, I felt like an alien. First of all, the format is completely different from what I know. There were 4 bands, each playing for about 20-30 minutes. Then everybody recharged and then you went back in. Also, sonically, it was totally undecipherable. We got there in time to catch the second band of the evening and it’s just so intense. The drummer looked like he was having a heart attack, guitarists were ripping the instruments apart and the front-man was pulling the vocals somewhere deep from his throat. And most likely from the gates of hell. No melody, no reference to anything I’d been used to. Initially, I thought there was no way I would sustain the whole thing. After track 2 (honestly, I still have no idea how people differentiate between individual songs), I adjusted my frequencies a bit and I managed almost till the end. And look, most of the guys seemed very nice. There was a band with rainbow wristbands and Free Gaza t-shirts. In between the tracks, they were super cool and grateful and they were speaking in support of Ukraine. But everything around that was madness. People rolling over one another in the moshpit, people doing super weird shit. It looked more like they were possessed than having fun. But then again, how the fuck do you dance to this. You don’t. You crash into other people or you do whatever I guess. Me, being a hip-hop kid and a techno party-goer… I was totally out of my element. But I genuinely enjoyed it. It was absolutely fascinating and if the opportunity arises, I might give it another go. It is kinda interesting that when it comes to my leftist vegan agenda, it’s way more likely to find like-minded souls here than in whatever music I’ve chosen to follow. Anyways, grateful to my friend and his daughter for bringing me there. And shout out to all the performers.


Saturday morning, I went for a yoga class (talk about a juxtaposition), in the afternoon, I did a sauna session and in the evening, I met up with our neighbor for a beer. He’s a cool dude working for the planetarium, we don’t really hang that often but when we do, it’s fun. On Sunday, I did my regular run and in the afternoon, I went for this demonstration in support of our president who seems to be the only high ranking politician in our country who’s neither an oligarch nor fascist at the moment. There were thousands of people around the main square, many more in Prague and in total more than 400 towns and cities participated that day. My dad and his partner joined too. I met one of my good friends with his wife and their newborn there as well so I tagged the for a drink in a pub nearby afterwards.


Which brings us all to today. Woke up super early, at 7 we were on the bus and now we’re hovering somewhere above Europe. Gonna update you with some info on Morocco soon. And one more thing, life has been quite rocky lately on some fronts but there is no love lost. Love, peace and appreciation to all my people. This goes to The Czech Republic but it also goes to The Netherlands. No matter where this goes, nothing changes about any of that. Know that. Other than that, keep it light, keep it positive, don’t entertain bullshit and don’t let them fuck with your inner light. One!


Highlights:

  • Prague.
  • Hardcore.
  • My people.

No comments:

Post a Comment