Monday, November 6, 2017

Semester 3 Chapter IX: Blade Runner & Research



Okay, so Blade Runner 2049 has finally arrived to China. To my knowledge, when a movie is supposed to run in theaters here, theres a two-step process. First, they check whether it goes in line with the regime and Chinese values. If it gets a green light there, it proceeds to some kind of censorship department where they make sure that any potentially controversial scene or detail is adjusted or deleted so the balance and peace of this magnificent country and its people remains untouched. So yeah, I have seen the new Blade Runner last Monday, Im just not sure how different it was from the one you saw.


I really liked the movie though. My and my friend went to this Metro City shopping mall at Xujiahui which looks like a small planet that fell out from a Star Wars universe. They screen shit over the round facade when its dark and with the Grand Gateway twin towers just across the street, it felt like a pretty suiting venue to go for a cyberpunk flick. So yeah, that ones off my check list.



On Tuesday, I met up with my Malaysian friend, we biked to the OCAT gallery to check a pretty dope media installation and then went for a vegan feast to one of my favorite restaurants. I have met some people (shit, some are even in my class) that claim not to like Chinese food. I dont get it theres a reason there are Chinese restaurants all over the world. Saying that you cannot eat Chinese and you have to go for a fucking burger with French fries instead, cause thats the real fucking food, seems super confusing to me.


I still try to work on my research as much as I can. Reading an article per day, doing notes, getting ready. I still need to fully wrap my head around some concepts and structures but I feel Im making some baby steps. Who knows, maybe Ill make it to that fucking degree after all...


On Thursday, I ended up drinking in a park and waking up at a place that definitely wasnt mine and on Friday, I met up with a guy from my class, who happens to be vegetarian, for a hot pot at Jen Dow. Again, in my opinion, Chinese cuisine fucking rocks. Its colorful, its full of veggies, and even though they sometime overuse oil, its still way healthier that most of shit we consume in the West. After the dinner, I met with another friend for some outdoor beers too.

I finished that Ozark series (dope), Charlamagne tha Gods book Black Privilege (funny and quite interesting) and checked crazy amount of new music too. It just does not stop!

Highlights:

  • Chris Browns Heartbreak on a Full Moon album (its like 10 hours long but it might be the best thing he ever put out), N.E.R.D.s new single (Rihanna went too HAM), collaborative mixtape Without Warning from 21 Savage, Offset and Metro (fucking crazy).
  • First run at the reopened track at my downtown campus. Its good to be home.
  • Weather the temperature jumps up and down and sometimes doesnt make any sense at all. Im talking short sleeves over the day and winter jacket in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment