Monday, November 13, 2017

Semester 3 Chapter X: Vegans & Elevators



Okay, lets get back to it. Last week was pretty dope for several different reasons. Firstly, the weather got back to like 15-20 degrees which just makes life little more convenient again. On top of that, I had a chance to attend some dope ass events with some dope ass people... Some cool Shanghai shit right there...


Last Thursday, I met with my vegan connect for an art event at Un Café Bar at Jiangning road. She gave me a piece of pumpkin pie she had made so shout out to her! The bar is on 7th floor and while I was going up in the elevator, passing 4th floor, I noticed crazy sounds and 8-bit melodies overlapping one another. I just had to check that shit out. Turned out, on the 4th floor, theres an arcade. Ive never seen anything like that in person. Dozens of gaming machines with joysticks, controllers, steering wheels... All making loud sounds, playing their own theme songs... Like half of them occupied... Looked like a scene from an 80's movie. One of those days, Im gonna drop by and spend some quality time over there...


The event itself was like a textbook definition of performance art. There were some photos displayed but the main piece was this... A woman wrapped in bandages standing in the middle of the room. For like 15 minutes. With some projection going in the background. A guy appears pouring some colored liquid on the bandages. She stands there some more. The guy appears again. He removes the bandages. The woman is naked now. She enters this small tank full of water and the color dissolves. She leaves the tank and goes away. Art. 


Friday was the best though. After my morning run and workout I met with a friend visiting from Beijing by East Nanjing Road subway station, we walked to the Bund, took a ferry to Lujiazui and then went back to Jingan by subway to get a lunch at Jen Dow. Afterwards, we met up with my biking friend, hopped on OFO bikes and went for approximately 14 km ride towards Songhu Road the venue of Plantopia, the 3rd Shanghai vegan fest.


The whole thing took place outdoors and there was a number of different stands offering broad variety of food. We got some burgers, pancakes, cakes, cheesecakes, hotdogs... I got totally stuffed. Everything was super tasty, weather was great, what a time to be alive. To put a cherry on the top, we continued to one of bars nearby for a hookah and some beers. I ended my day at Jingan stairs with my Macedonian guy, doing some beers and getting conveniently drunk.


Saturday evening, I met with my Beijing friend again. Shes actually Czech as well and this time, she brought her former Czech colleagues too. They were in Shanghai for some business. We met up at People Square to go to Hu Bar which is this super posh basic place on 66th floor of one of the taller building in the area. There was some latino shit going on that night and once we got there, it was clear that we are out of place. Usher in a suit and usherette in cocktail dress staring at my sweatpants partially in confusion and partially in suspicion. We did the right thing, took a cab and went to Elevator for some proper bass music. I got shitfaced, I enjoyed everything from talks to music and dancing, and contrary to my initial plan, I got back home around 4am. So my Sunday responsibilities were exceptionally pleasant. I really needed a dope ass party though so Im glad it turned out that way.


Before I go, let me drop my two cents on that MeToo campaign and everything thats going on in aftermath of that. I totally support everything. I totally support all the women coming out with allegations (no matter how dated they are) and all the actors, singers and people of power being shut down. Do I believe that there are double standards when it comes to men and women in terms of jobs, everyday life , expectations, requirements etc.? Yes. Do I believe women get mistreated on daily basis? Yes. Do most of sexual assaults and rapes go unreported? Yes. Do I believe this shit is getting ridiculously downplayed by society? Yes. Its not about alcohol, its not about what shes wearing, it's not about how famous you are, its not about any of that. If I whip out my dick today in front of my classmates and start beating it, Im gonna get my scholarship cancelled, Im gonna get kicked out of school and Im gonna get my visa revoked. Same rules apply to everyone. So sorry, Kevin Spacey deserves this (as much as we all love him as an actor) and Louis C. K. deserves that too (that one actually hurts me the most). Im just happy that this shit is coming to the light and that its sparking some extremely needed public recognition.


Highlights:

  • Eminems Walk on Water. Say what you want, he is dope. I get all the criticism he gets and I agree he is past his prime but hes still dope.
  • Stranger Things. Started the 2nd season, Im 4 episodes in and I love it.
  • Vegan burgers made by two lovely ladies from Venezuela. They are opening a restaurant in Jingan sometime in spring so Im gonna have another spot to go for some veggie shit. Long live vegans!

No comments:

Post a Comment