Monday, November 5, 2018

Semester 5 Chapter IX: Escapes & Darkness


Okay, last week was quite eventful as I managed to get my ass out there a bit more. Tried out some new stuff, hung out at different spots, did some more skating, some more writing, some more biking.... All the usual...


On Monday, I ended up at this Liquid Laundy spot at Dongu Lu just next to the Shanghai Brewery. It was pretty nice but it only reminded me how much I love My Place. I mean, the price difference is not actually that significant, its more about the atmosphere. Since draft beer spots in town are generally considered something upper class, most of them have this overly polished touch, and its annoying as fuck. When you go out for a beer, you actually appreciate a bit of rawness and sketchiness. I dont really need suited up waiters and airport no place vibes. The beer was good tho.


Tuesday, our gang met up at Papas Beer for a bit. The other side of price range spectrum. Cheap beer, free pool, way more laid back. The day after, there was a movie night at the Lithuanians spot. As usual, lots of people arrived, it was real cool, and we screened What We Do in the Shadows. Definitely can recommend for those who have not seen it yet. Pretty hilarious.


On Thursday, I ended up going to this White Rabbit place at Changning Road. Its a spot for escape rooms which is also a thing I had not tried out before. Turned out Im not really a natural when it comes to that. The fact that lot of the cues over there were in Chinese didnt necessarily help neither. That didnt stop me from enjoying the bizarreness of it all. The storyline circled around some doctors (us) going through some abandoned medical facility full of dead bodies, caskets, blood, cryptic messages and shit like that. Fortunately, we had a walkie talkie connecting us to a guy in charge so every time we got stuck, we could ask for assistance. Ive been told that this definitely was not the best escape room around so maybe at some point, Ill have a chance to experience something more intense.


And on Friday, I went to another vegan potluck to my friends place. This one was quite big and it really made me feel little inferior. I didnt put much thought into my meal (beans with pumpkin and some veggies) while others really came up and straight up killed that shit. I had meals with seaweed, great salads, cookies, brownies, cakes. Beautiful. Stuck around till about midnight shout out to all the vegans out there!


I also managed to kinda finish a paper for the university. According to the feedback, it still needs a bit of work done but its close. This week, we got the International Import Expo going on in town so theres more police presence everywhere. And call me paranoid but even sky seems clearer than usual. The other day I was actually watching sky full of stars in disbelief. When the main guy comes to town, you just gotta flex. Ya dig!


Highlights:

  • Got stopped by cops while kicking it on my skateboard in the bike lane. Which is something I do all the fucking time. Ive been told (in poor English) that I cant do that and asked to provide a passport or any other photo ID. I refused to do either and left off with a warning and a picture of my face taken by one of the lovely officers. Sometimes I really wonder how exactly do some police efforts help to make our world a better and safer place.
  • Music! New Metro Boomin, Takeoff, Swizz, Vince, Moneybagg Yo, Prodigy, Ella Mai, NAO. Too Much!
  • Maniac. Pretty awesome Netflix show.

No comments:

Post a Comment