Monday, September 30, 2019

Semester 7 Chapter V: Skateboards and Rants

Okay, let me kick this thing off with some political shit this time. Since that lovely Swedish girl Greta has gained some momentum and now travels the world spreading her message, lotta people are real quick to attack her in the name of the reason and good old balanced order of things. Ive read so many articles from established commentators, journalists and politicians, heard people theorizing about who might pay her for activities. Shes too vegan or not vegan enough (yeah, she was once captured eating vegan food from a plastic box), shes too extreme, too young, too disabled, you name it. So let me drop my two cents here... I honestly dont give a flying fuck about any of those opinions and theories. I also do not believe that this system, as it is, is sustainable or cultivatable on any level. So no, I dont think negotiating is an option here. I dont think its okay to be reasonable, which basically means accepting the current status quo (which got us here in the first place and has all kinds of crazy implications in the areas of classism, racism, gender inequality etc.), and see if we can find some common ground with it (which we cant). From the capitalist/conservative viewpoint, everything that questions the nature of the system is extreme or communist or whatever label they find scary enough. So yeah, how the fuck dare you talking about financial growth at this point? Do I think theres any chance to win this thing? Not really... But its people like her who make me feel at least a bit optimistic... Its people like Sanders or Corbyn that bring a bit of a reason to the debate here and there... And no, we cannot meet halfway with this system... This system is toxic to the core, it oppresses people, it destroys the environment, it fucks up this whole planet. Theres no halfway here... So you can keep on calling these people extremists, communists, or not reasonable or grown enough... You can keep on patronizing them, putting yourself on whatever moral or intellectual high ground (like you are entitled to any), but thats basically all you can do. You are wrong, she is right. Sustainable growth my ass. When all of this comes crashing down, its gonna be too late to think this over. Theres no check points or game saves here. 


Aight, when I got this off my chest, lets get back to the real important stuff. What the hell was I up this past week. Honestly, its been quite a lot. Me and some of my friends went for KTV, which was fun as hell. Old Town Road is my new KTV favorite...


On Wednesday, a friend from a Czech Republic had a layover in Shanghai which allowed him to spend about 6 hours downtown. I took up the responsibility of being a guide, and this whole thing turned out to be a pretty great day. We spent it all on bikes, going from the Bund to the peanut sauce noodle spot, then to the West Bund, Jingan, and eventually wrapping it all up in the Jingan Sculpture Park. I could do this shit for living...


The day after, some of my favorite girls over here asked me for a skateboarding lesson. We met up in the evening close to the skatepark by the West Bund with some snacks and drinks, and spend the couple of hours kicking, pushing, and talking. The weather is still beautiful in Shanghai and West Bund is a pretty awesome place to hang out at. Right by the river, these old renovated cranes all lit up, those massive bridges illuminated with light shows, many locals on boards and skates playing around... I got a feeling this wasnt the last time us doing this thing...


Outside of that, I managed to do some school work, went out for a beer couple of times, and on Sunday, did bit of a picnic and petangue at Fuxing park. Spiced up by gin and tonic, and followed up by dinner at this Huaihai/Wanping Road Chinese restaurant...


So yeah, things have been good. Its still love, positive vibes only, its still spending lotta time outside, lotta workouts, lotta cycling around.... And Im like 2 days from traveling to Bangkok. And words cannot really express how much Im looking forwards to that. The Golden Week is about to kick in here, so if you are in China, I hope you gonna spend it the best way possible. And if youre outside of China, just keep your head up and stay away from bullshit. Cause bullshit sucks.


Highlights:
  • Internet. China is really going hard this time around. I wasn't able to access the Western internet for like 2 days straight, and now its still pretty bad.
  • New Kevin Gates.
  • This new stadium I go to. I liked the one at Changping Lu too but this one is even more local and way less crowded

No comments:

Post a Comment