Monday, October 7, 2019

Semester 7 Chapter VI: Bangkok Czech-in


Hello from the sunny Bangkok. Gotta say, Thailand is a welcomed change to the everyday Chinese life. I mean, I do like Shanghai and all but theres just something about South-East Asia that gets me. Besides the weather (I was born for this climate), it this specific sense of easygoingness, this contrast between expanding modern global elements and messy street local vibes  (way higher than in China)... Its the vibe in this region I fall in love with every time I go back here...


So where we at... Last Monday, I met up with a Chinese friend at ifVegan for a dinner and some cakes. They renovated the place just recently and from what Ive seen, they did a pretty great job. The place is neat, design is clean, menu is a bit better than I remember, and their selection of cakes and deserts is off the roof. Its one of the pricier vegan spots in town but that little extra is totally worth it. Definitely one of the quality over quantity joints...


Tuesday turned out to be one of those rare Shanghainese days, when you end up stranded in your apartment. Heavy rain literally all day long. Made me realize how much time I actually spend doing stuff outside. Not leaving the house for the whole day feels extremely weird...


On Wednesday, on my way to the airport, I met with another friend at the Science and Technology Museum station to get her a skateboard. We did that and spent couple of hours hanging out in the surrounding areas... After that, I hopped on the subway again and went for Pudong, so Thursday early morning, I was in Bangkok. Grabbed a cab at the airport and went straight to a spot where my girlfriend stays at the moment. Not far from downtown, pretty nice compound with pool and lotta green. Were on 16th floor so we got pretty cool views on the city from different angles.


So yeah, lifes been good here. Trying out veggie restaurants in the city, walking around, getting lost in those streets full of street food stands, drinking some veggie White Russians, all the good stuff. Outside of overeating couple of times, Ive been feeling pretty great over here.


Thai food is kinda friendly but it has nothing on Vietnam or Indonesia. They use lotta fish oil and meat over here. You can get papaya salad, deep fried tofu or Pad Thai. And of course, fresh coconuts. And if you find a spot like Loving Hut or Veganerie, you get to try out more veganized local dishes. You can totally get by, its just a bit more challenging... Got about 5 more days over here so hopefully, I get to see more of the city and absorb more of its vibe.


Highlights:
  • Joker. We went to see the movie couple of days back and it totally exceeded all of my expectations.
  • Checked the new epsiodes of South Park. They still kill shit.
  • Swimming. I do countless laps on the daily now. Almost forgot how much I love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment