Monday, March 16, 2020

Semester 8 Chapter IV: Shutdowns & Shut Ups


Okay, lets talk about real shit for a minute now. If you havent noticed, we live in a world thats collapsing. In a colossal way. Our planet is steadily heading to an inevitable doom (orchestrated by your one and only humans), we got rainforests going to absolute shit, weather doing backflips... We are killing animals by billions, both endangered ones and the regular ones (I mean the ones we apparently dont give a fuck about).  We are terminating any kinda natural diversity, producing so much shit we dont even know what to do with it... Using so much plastic it goes beyond imagination. And now we got coronavirus. Whole countries and cities on lockdown, stores and restaurants shutting down, people dying all over the world. So fuck it, lets talk about all of that shit. Lets talk about it for real, cause Im getting sick of it. Of all the hypocrisy, of everybody talking the nice shit not really doing shit in their own lives, of everybody talking about fucking economy and goals and money... Of everybody acting like theyre nice people... Like they are aware... And I dont want to make this motherfucker sound like Im above anybody. Lord knows I am flawed as fuck left and right, no matter how much I try. So nah, this is not Im better than yall blog. This is Im sick of all the hypocrisy’ blog.


You know how the coronavirus started, right? Wet markets? Animals being kept in conditions you would probably throw up watching. Sick, tortured, being held in cages, having no space to move... Which ironically doesn't differ much from what happens in slaughterhouses anywhere else. But fuck them, right? Okay, but then the virus thing happened... These conditions basically enabled the virus to mutate and develop to a from transmittable to humans. Couple of weeks later, we are here. What is one of the major causes of climate change? Animal products industry. We do things to animals we would not be able to watch for 1 second. We all love them but we love our steaks more. We all love human rights, but we love our cheap H&M t-shirts and iphones more. We talk all that talk but we are not willing to walk the walk at all. And again, Im not saying what you should be doing but be fucking aware. Know that by making certain choices, you do contribute to certain things. And doing certain shit just takes away your right to comment on it. Wanna buy all that shit you dont really need that was produced in sweatshops in Asia? Then shut the fuck up about human rights... Wanna have your fucking Big Mac for lunch and steak for dinner? Then shut the fuck up about animal rights. And environmental issues. And sustainability. Wanna know why the world is so fucked? You dont. I mean you do know why but you dont want to hear it. Cause that allows everyone to stay in their comfort zone, not really changing shit. Selective blindness. Especially us, in the West, we are mad responsible. And while I dont wanna look at everyone as personally accountable, I cant help but thinking.... If you are not willing to start with yourself, what the fuck is the use of anything else? What are we talking about? How are you to better the world if your own space is poisoned? I dont have an answer, I havent figured out how to heal the world as a whole just yet, and I hope that this corona bullshit is gonna lead to this whole system falling and recalibrating (although I kinda feel after this, its gonna be further on rich being way richer, poor being way poorer and the planet way more fucked). But man... For the longest time, I was downplaying personal choices. I didnt think Im really changing the world by any of those. But as time goes, it makes me think. I mean god damn it, at least Im doing my absolute best to be consistent with it. You cannot be a part of the problem and a part of the solution at the same time. It doesnt work like that. And you gotta start with yourself. Theres no other starting point, theres no skipping that, theres no way around it.


In some cases, the right way is not somewhere in between. In some cases, the right way is obvious and questioning it is pure insanity. The right choice is not somewhere in the middle between Trump and Sanders. No. The truth is not between fossil fuel industry and Greta. Fucking no. The sustainable way is not between animal products consumption and veganism. It is not. In some cases, one side of an argument is obviously correct, whereas the other is straight-up crazy. There is sufficient amount of evidence on where are we heading as humanity (wars, refugees, constantly increasing gap between rich and poor, neo-colonialism) and as a planet. And unless you are willing to roll the dice, dismiss all the evidence, and hope that all the scientists are wrong, you should fucking adjust at least a little bit. Or shut up. I dont wanna sound too dramatic here but the state in which we are leaving this world for future generations is horrific and scares the shit out of me. And I dont have kids but I do have a nephew and I can feel this here and there when I look at him. So yeah, stay safe, stay with your close ones, stay healthy during these challenging times. Perhaps take some time to think about whats really important in life. But dont act like those things are acts of god. They are not. They are acts of humans. Of all of us. And each and every single one of us can do better. We know exactly what the problem is, its time to start dealing with it accordingly. Be aware of whats going on. And that goes for you and whats around you as well. Thats what I believe in.


Okay, dont wanna hold you for too long so let me get back to the reason I started this blog, aka my life. Which is still as entertaining as ever. So get this... Tuesday afternoon I hop on my flight from Dubai to Vienna, I get some dinner at the airport, go to the train station and before 10pm get off the train in Brno. My dad waited for me along with his gf and Gin (the dog). We walked like 100m to my dads pub and I got a warm Czech welcome. Some drunk fellows around, lotta beer and shots... We stayed till midnight and then did some more Jameson at home.


I woke up to some crazy shit though. Coronavirus is spreading all over Europe and new measures reflect that. So yeah, the next day, Czech government limited opening hours of restaurants till 20:00 and closed up gyms. I mean, they did way more but these things had the most direct impact on my life. Well, I spent the day with my sis, her gf and my nephew. I had missed all of them so I enjoyed the hell out of it. I also stopped by at my open-air veggie market to get some local groceries. Transitioning into a local again.  


The next day, I spent some more time with my sis and went for a lunch to one of my favorite veggie restaurants in town. In the evening, I met up with a friend of mine for some hangout in a café (again, one of my favorite ones). It was cool but they did close at 20:00. After that we hung out at my place for a bit and that was that. You would think the whole situation is strange enough, but boy oh boy, it gets better.


So the next morning, new policy got announced. This time its closing everything for good with the exception of grocery stores and pharmacies. No cafés, no restaurants, no bars, no clubs, no shops, no open-air marktets. Nothing. So I literally got like 3 days of shit being opened here after my arrival. On top of that, we are closing borders. Nobody in or out (the exception being Czechs getting back home from abroad). So thats the situation now. Coronavirus cases keep on increasing in numbers and this state of emergency is planned for 30 days. Well, in the afternoon, I took the dog, met up with my bro and we spent the day in parks drinking beer. Its kinda cold here but during the day, when the sun is shining, it is bearable. And parks were full of people. It really makes you think about all the consequences of this situation. Maybe its gonna bring people together in a weird way?


Sunday, I met up with my sis and her gf for a lunch and we hung out some more after that. In the evening, I watched the new Star Wars with my dad. Im really being a family guy these days. Catching up with everything... Took only a global killer virus to get me back here. Yay! Before I went to sleep, I read the news and it keeps on rolling. So starting today, theres a nation-wide quarantine. Apart from going to work, getting some basic groceries or visiting relatives (theres some limits with that one tho), you are not supposed to leave the house. I tried to search what the fuck do I do if I have a dog that needs to be walked but I havent found much. I guess Im just gonna walk him and hope I wont get locked up or pay like 150.000 EUR fine. If this shit is not a set up for a dystopian movie, I dont know what is.


Apart from all of that, I used to run daily (since it was really the only accessible workout who knows if I can do that still) and I enjoyed all the food over here. Sometimes cooking myself, sometimes eating at my sis, sometimes at restaurants (thats when they were still open). I have also applied for some online jobs trying to get my act together. I still see myself back in Shanghai in couple of weeks but who the fuck knows what happens then. I'm sitting in my dads kitchen now, old-school N.E.R.D. in my headphones (Provider is still my shit) and I feel happy that I get to be with my fam in the middle of this cluster-fuck. Sending love to all my peers. You know who you are. One!

Highlights:
  • 808s & Heartbreaks is still one of the best albums of all time. Fuck what anybody says.
  • Home sweet home.
  • My fam & my people. For real for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment