Sunday, March 29, 2020

Semester 8 Chapter VI: Toxic Love


So the other day I went to pick up a package to my local post office. I ordered some gym gloves as my band kept fucking up my hands. And I got like the full dosage of my city. You see, I have kinda love/hate relationship with Brno. I love it way more now than I used to but I still remember why I left it years ago. And I know that after some time, Id probably get there again. And this story is not really that interesting but its kinda funny so fuck it. So I get to the post office and I see couple of people standing outside waiting for their turn. Wearing face masks, not staying too close to each other we are really disciplined. So I get in and I go for this machine that gives you a number. When I get it, I feel a grab on my shoulder. Some old fucker decided to be a peoples advocate and basically starts screaming at me that I just cut the line and that I gotta get the fuck out and wait. I really didnt feel like taking any shit from anyone that day, so I go straight to a counterstrike. We get into a bit of an argument and storm out. At that point, I feel like punching him. A lovely lady standing nearby notices our confrontation and points out that you actually do need to take your number first and then wait it out. Pointing at everybody around holding their numbers. All of the sudden, the guy stares at the ground, mumbles some lame ass apology and goes take his number. He gets back and stands like 3 meters next to me doing his best to avoid any eye contact. I was giving him the most uncomfortable stare I was capable of. Like 2 minutes later, some young ass motherfucker arrives, sees me, walks to my face and asks me if I have any drugs. To my What? he elaborates: You know, like weed or anything. At that point, Im genuinely amused and even though he cannot see the smile under my face mask, I do smile and tell him that I do not. Of course. I wait for my turn, get my fucking gloves and go home. Impossible grumpy neurotic old people and druggies around our main railway station. Thats the flavors. Theres obviously more to where Im from but this one was super authentic. Shout out to Brno!


Anyways, the quarantine continues, nothing has really changed over here. We got more coronavirus cases, couple of deaths too, all the restrictions still in place. We actually got a new one. Unless youre with your family or people sharing your household, you cannot hang outdoors in a group larger than two people. And again, I feel people just respect that. Theres still no police patrols on corners and streets are still nearly empty. Im trying to cover most of dog walks and shopping these days to make things easier on my dad but we arent really nervous. Still cooking lotta amazing meals, still chilling with some whisky and cigars here and there, still reading and watching movies.


Weather wise, its been a bit of rollercoaster. Seems like first half of the week is always shit (nearly freezing) and the second half jumps to spring (temperatures around 15 degrees). They say the next week is shaping up to be exactly the same.



So yeah, I still eat, workout and run like crazy. The other day, I did another longer run with my bro. After this whole winter break, I think my body has finally adjusted to regular running and all the muscle pain is gone. Feels beautiful. The resistance band is still the shit too. I also see my sis like all time, we go to parks, we do lunches and shit... Yesterday, we hung out at our neighbors spot they have kid same age as my nephew drinking, eating. It was pretty awesome.


Oh yeah, and China closed its borders to foreigners. Doesnt matter if you have valid visa or residence permit (my fucking case) you wont get in. So in order for me to get back to Shanghai, which is still absolutely my goal, three things have to happen. One: the situation in the Czech Republic gets better for the country to lift all the restrictions (not very likely but I kinda see that happening). Two: the situation in Europe and in the world in general gets good enough for the Czech Republic to open its borders again (that one really seems straight up unrealistic to me). Three: China reopens its borders to foreigners again (I cant really predict anything here). And the best part is: all three of those things have to happen simultaneously. And preferably soon. In other words, it is quite possible Im stuck here for a bit. I decided not to stress about any of that tho. Its completely out of my control so I guess we just wait it out. Oh, and I applied for extension of my studies too, so there is a slim chance this blog's Semester 9 actually takes place back in Shanghai. But who knows. You guys stay strong, stay safe and keep your head up, aight? One!



Highlights:

  • Did my first online class teaching Czech to a foreigner. Went really well, pretty cool experience.
  • Workouts. Im sure Im gaining weight here due to all to amazing food but I also exercise like a maniac. So its pretty balanced and I do feel good.
  • Jessie Reyez album. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment