Sunday, March 22, 2020

Semester 8 Chapter V: Silver Linings


Aight, so were still quarantined up over here. Last time, I got a bit preachy so let me start this on a more positive note. I love the way most people deal with the whole situation. Theres a movement in the Czech Republic homemaking face masks, distributing them among those who cannot get any amid the high demand and shortage. Most people respect all the new restrictions, staying at home for the most part and wearing the face masks when they go out. Brno really feels like a ghost town these days. I love the fact that people home cook most of their meals staying with their families. I love how considerate they are to one another (at the end of the day, the whole face mask wearing is really to protect others, not yourself), I love that the whole crisis is pressing the government to implement policies to support those staying home with their kids and those who ended up with no income for now. I got friends texting me that in some parts of the world, basic income has become a topic of discussion too. I love the fact that theres dolphins in Italy. That the sky is clearer. That the whole production decrease leads to cleaner air so fast. I love seeing McDonalds closed. I love seeing malls empty. I love seeing Zara, H&M and all those fuckers closed too. I love having chats with strangers while walking my dog. I hope that when this is all done, we remember some of this energy and carry it on. Theres so much negativity, suffering, losses and pain coming with Covid-19 but it is beautiful seeing that we can manage. Maybe we do need a little push to see that the whole system we kinda consider given, this whole status quo fuck up, is not really as given and strong as we thought. I wanna believe that. Shout out to all doctors, nurses, drivers, food suppliers, volunteers and caretakers. Shout out to all who respect others and take this situation as an opportunity to focus on their close ones and appreciate them. I see lotta bad shit everyday but I see so much positivity too. And theres never enough of that. If you respect someone, tell them. If you appreciate someone, tell them. If you love someone, tell them. Those things need to be noticed and expressed. We need more of this. Not only now but each and every day.


So where we at these days. Quarantine is still on, however, walking a dog, going out to a park and running is okay. Thank god. You can go shopping (supermarkets and pharmacies are still open) and to visit relatives, but staying at home is strongly recommended. At this point, police do not really enforce this Im out at least like 5 times a day, sometimes for quite some time, and I havent been asked to show my ID or provide a reason for being out yet. People respect the situation tho. Some restaurants still provide delivery. They are also allowed to sell takeaway items out of window - as long as people don't stay and everything is served in single-use containers. I have never seen my city so empty. Im an early bird, so my morning dog walks are usually around 6-7am, and at that time, you dont really expect crowds. However, you go around lunchtime, and its pretty much the same. I stay in the very center of Brno, basically on the main street, so it really paints the picture. I dont even use leash anymore the dog just runs around freely everywhere. You are also allowed to meet up with your close ones and spend some time outside, as long as your group is not larger than 10 people. Again, Im pretty impressed that in our alcoholic country, people actually follow that. Havent seen anybody breaking this yet. Borders are still closed and nobody can really tell when thats gonna change. So my future is still as unclear as ever.


As for my everyday life, its usually 3 long walks with the doggo, one long run and some hanging out here and there. Mostly with my family, sometimes with my friends. We had couple of really beautiful days last week - Im talking almost 20 degrees in the afternoon. I joined my sis for couple of long walks and one day, I even took my bike and met them in the outskirts of Brno in this huge gorgeous park I havent been to since my childhood for some picnic. It feels good doing real bike rides again. Been like 3 months. I also met up with my bro for a run the other day. We did about 11km around the city. Yesterday, I walked the dog with another of my friends and well try to do this together more often. See, it is pretty calm over here. Apart from some Jameson with my dad in the evenings while watching Breaking Bad and like two beers outside, I dont really drink. I obviously dont go to bars and pubs and I take turns cooking with the old man (who is probably the best vegan cook I know). All of it is actually pretty nice. The only fucked up thing is that I havent seen one of my best friends living in Prague yet. I think I might be technically able to get there as some trains and buses still go and the possibility of cops stopping me seems relatively low, but Im not really sure, and more importantly, with this whole situation developing, I might end up being stuck there. I mean, theres been some talks on even heavier measures possibly being employed, and although the government denies such claims for now, nothing would really surprise me anymore. I hope well get to catch up soon.


Oh and workout. So yesterday, I went to pick up my resistance loopband and that shit changed my life. I have been doing push-ups and sit-ups daily but this thing... This fucking thing you can easily fit into your pocket... You can do a solid heavy wourkout with it. I put on some hiphop, play with it for an hour or so and Im straight. Feeling all the muscles and shit. Cant wait to do this again today.


Im still in touch with my Shanghai fam too. Im sending love to my sisters I hope your situation gets resolved asap. Im sending love to my peers in Shanghai as well. Im really looking forward to get back there and catch up. Crashing your places, drinking drinks, watching movies, reuniting. Gonna be awesome. Im sending love to everybody out there. We are in the middle of some shitshow but we are going to make it one way or another. I really wanna believe we come out of this stronger, closer to each other, more empathetic and more aware. We are human after all. One!


Highlights:

  • Resistance band.
  • Bike rides.
  • My dads cooking. He manages to veganize different traditional Czech meals (which are originally not vegan at all) and hes a fucking monster when it comes to that. Was missing that for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment