Sunday, April 11, 2021

Semester 10 Chapter IX: Long-Distance Life

Checking back from Tenerife. Weather is still good, sun is shining, OG Parker and DDG are playing in the background and I’m about to drop second to the last blog in Tenerife. I’ve been slowing down a bit, doing me, focusing on work and enjoying streets of Costa Adeje, Las Americas and Los Christianos these past couple of days. Oh, and I’m also trying to cut down on coffee a little bit… Just to test it out. Been a caffeine addict ever since I can remember and I wanna see if I can operate without it. So far it’s not going terrible; made it to 1-2 cups per day and I intend to make it 1. Just to get energy more organically. 


So yeah, last week was mostly teaching. I’m real busy when it comes to that. Apart from regular classes, I did a final exam for one of my groups. Never done that before and it’s kinda fun being in that position. You are the guy evaluating and you see all the people who are normally pretty calm under all the pressure, cause this one hour is a question of getting or not getting a certificate. We’ve all been there. In schools, in our lines of work, in languages… It’s just interesting being the one trying to set a relaxed tone to the whole thing so people wouldn't freak out. There are similarities between that and diving.

Speaking of diving… Last week I did only one dive and it was in Abades. Wednesday, I went with Medano guys once more and our group consisted of me, one of the co-owners (who also led the dive) and this divemaster girl from Spain. The guy was on his shit once more. Since the experience level among us was solid, he decided to push the dive a bit and took us way beyond the second reef to a drop that took us to about 35 meters. Up until that point, the deepest I had gone in Abades was about 15 meters and I had no idea that you can even go that deep there. There was bit of a current on the way there so it was an exercise too. Anyways, at the deepest point we saw a dinosaur-sized ray (I’m talking like 2+ meters) and on the way back we saw an octopus and whole bunch of barracudas. It was almost an hour and those 15-liter tanks definitely helped. The second dive was also good. We did the trumpet fish cave, swam around the anchor nearby, saw a turtle and plethora of smaller rays. Note to self tho… Don’t fucking drink coffee between the dives. I’ve been aware of this but man… Really not worth it. Having to piss in the middle of an hour-long dive is a bitch. And I’m totally not doing that into my semi-dry. I almost exploded…

 

Outside of that it’s been my regular workouts and walks. I also talked to plenty of my people through the computer screen. That’s one thing I’m really looking forward to in the Czech Republic. To spend some time with people in person again. I’m grateful for the fact I still get to spend hours talking to my close ones, but the screen will always be a screen. Been dreaming in my sleep bit more too; that doesn’t usually happen. Well, got one more week to go over here and then I’m out. I hope everybody’s doing well. I also wanna say R.I.P. to those who passed cause of covid. I have friends who lost family members and you hear stories about those who didn’t make it almost on the daily. Shit ain’t sweet. Let’s just keep our heads up and try to turn this nightmarish lessons into some positive changes. One!


 

Highlights:

  • The Abades dives.
  • Running. I’m on that basically every day.
  • My hosts’ cooking. Still totally amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment