What’s up y’all! Another Sunday in sunny Tenerife. At the moment, I’m in the dive shop about to do a dive with some beginners. Last week was a time for re-calibration and some fine-tuning of my situation over here. I’ve been giving it some thought and I figure I don’t feel okay with working in the dive center full-time. See, diving is a beautiful thing but it’s not a job you would do for money. You can earn some pocket change as an instructor but it’s not really any kinda income allowing you to comfortably cover your existence. And I don’t want to spend my whole days in the shop just to come home and do some teaching to keep afloat. Plus I want weekends. So I sat down with the boss and we basically agreed on me freelancing. I’m not gonna get a contract, I’m gonna get called up for dives if needed and that’s that. This month, I’ll try to be around a bit more to help out but starting December, it’s gonna be different. And man… It lifted quite some weight off my shoulders. Seems like freelance teaching and freelance diving is the way to go for now… So we’ll see how this works out… And I celebrated my decision by booking an appointment with my tattoo guy for March. Because I can.
Okay, so what’s been up… I dived both Monday on Tuesday. Monday morning, I took these two guys to Las Eras for some fun diving marking it the very first diving gig after the takeover. Our first customers. In the evening, I went to Las Galletas which is about 4km from my place to catch up with one of my Czech friends. I have a long history with the guy, most of which is documented by this blog. The guy I met in Shanghai, heavily into making food… We met up in Croatia in the summer too… He was on the island for the night so he got in touch. He picked this 33 Vueltas spot in Las Galletas and it might turn out to be my next favorite spot. Real nice café bar with a great vibe, good drinks and some vegan shit on the menu. The talk was also cool as hell. Appreciate it.
Tuesday, I did a DSD at Las Vistas beach with this Czech guy. Only reminded me how much I love doing this shit. Tuesday was kinda crazy tho. I started the day by meeting up with the lady I pay to help me with all the Spanish paperwork and administration. I picked her up at her spot and then we headed to the police station to get my local identification number. After that we took a ride to San Miguel where we registered my accommodation and then we proceeded to Adeje where I finally put the car on my name. And only after that I made it to the dive shop to do the diving. Plus some teaching afterwards. Quite an eventful day.
On Thursday, another friend arrived to the island. I picker her up at the airport and brought her to my place where she spent the next 3 days. I actually managed to take some time off both from diving and teaching so I used the opportunity to show her around. On Friday, I took her to Santiago Del Teide and Los Gigantes and on Saturday to Abades and El Medano. Nice trips… Felt good to be back at those places. Oh, and my car managed. I’m starting to really like that motherfucker…
At the weekend I dived too. Those were shit dives tho… Right at the Los Cristianos Beach. The only reason we do those is because the previous owners sold a whole bunch of dives on some bullshit website for peanuts and it literally makes no sense to put any extra effort into it. Nonsense. We all decided that this is not a way to go long-term. Thank god…
So yeah, new places, old places, some familiar faces… Feeling good about all that. One of those weeks when it seems shit goes right. Wanna shout out all my people once again. Got in touch with some of them, got many on my to-do list… It’s all love… One!
Highlights:
- Being out there once again.
- Some time off.
- El Med Veg. Amazing vegan joint in Medano. Go and support!





















No comments:
Post a Comment