Monday, January 16, 2023

Semester 13 Chapter XX: Communism Is Bad Unless It’s Like Really Good Looking And It’s Really Not Communism

I’m gonna have fun with this one. So… We have presidential election going on back home. First round has just passed and now we’re nervously waiting for the second one. On the fucking edge of our seats. Those who read this little blog of mine probably know where I’m at at the political spectrum. So this won’t surprise you. Similar to the rest of the world, we have this weird thing with leftism in the Czech Republic. Yes, we had communism for 40 years and yes, it was a criminal regime responsible for unjustifiable things. I’m not here to debate that. I would also like to point out that you can say basically the same about regimes all over Europe and US nowadays. The fact that our shit is made by kids in Bangladesh and mined by kids in Congo doesn’t really matter in the bigger picture now, does it... The fact that we are literally ruled by super rich who we celebrate as geniuses and new-age messiahs while those fuckers destroy lives and the very planet we live on isn’t very nice neither, is it… The fact that you can barely afford to pay rent on average salary in our cities these days is also kinda fucked, right? Okay, I believe I’m kinda making my point here. Apparently, we are in a situation where left X right spectrum moved to alt-right X right. Social democrats globally have usually very little to do with the concept of social democrats. In the Czech Republic, any social measure is almost always met with counter-screams such as “communism”, “gulags”, “Stalin”… Let free market deal with shit. Regulated rent? Taxing the rich? Environment? Equality among humans? Supporting non-white immigrants from war zones? Nah man, we’re good. All that bullshit is communist and we don’t want that. So at the moment, we have two presidential candidates going at it live. One is like the richest guy in the country and former prime minister prosecuted basically by everybody for all kinds of frauds within his multi-billion dollar empire. Has kinda Trump vibes. The last thing he cares about are poor people but in the absence of functioning left, he has somehow become their voice. The other guy is a former general in military, he spent some time in NATO structures and he’s kinda hot. Good shape, silver fox vibes, nice voice. Oh and he’s also totally a former Soviet era communist. He’s not one anymore simply because the regime fell in the late 80s. He has a real chance of winning this whole shit show which is fine I guess. Still feels like a less bad choice than the other guy. But I got two points here. First of all, nobody can tell me that like 95% of his appeal are his looks. I fucking guarantee if you had a fat bald guy with two chins, weird voice and a career in the “most hated regime” in the modern Czech history, he wouldn’t have come anywhere close to where he is now. And no, I don’t think 95% is exaggeration. I actually feel like he’s a male version of a “hot bitch” in hip-hop videos. I believe we are in a historical moment of a man being low-key objectified and people don’t talk about it enough. I’m expecting him writing a book titled “I’m not just a piece of meat” in about a year or two. Second, I see this fascinating turn in people. For whatever kind of reason, people who can spend hours talking shit on communism, throwing everybody who had anything to do with the party in the bag of spineless opportunists… Basically people who really see that part of our history in black and white (regardless of what they had or hadn’t been doing themselves at that time)… They suddenly don’t give a shit. Let’s vote for the hot guy. He’s solid. Like not in the “lesser of two evils” kind of way. Really in “this is the guy for real” kind of way. I personally don’t believe in black and white interpretation of this thing right here but I’m also not heavily invested in arguing with anybody. It’s just fascinating to watch. Both of these fuckers are shit. And yes, I’d give it to the hot guy too if I had to. But like that old South Park episode… Every presidential election is basically a choice between a shit and a turd. So I guess let’s hope the hot guy ends up on classrooms’ pictures, on stamps and shit like that. Because that’s honestly the biggest contribution to anything I can realistically see him doing. Yay, Czech Republic.

 


Okay, that felt good. Now back to this. So I’m good. I’m still kinda decompressing and catering more to my antisocial self. Last week, I met up with a friend one day and hung out with her while she was looking after this kid (it’s her side gig). We usually have a pretty easy energy, time flew and kid was pretty entertaining. We got some well deserved ice cream by the end of the day. I also got contacted by the dive center I dived with about a year ago. Ran by the Czech guy I met on my mission in Croatia. They needed someone for the weekend, I was available. I asked for a bit more money, they said yes, I did the course. All good. On Saturday, we actually had quite a lot of beers and properly caught up. I don’t think we’re becoming like real friends anytime soon but I also don’t feel any kinda animosity. Royce once said “holding a grudge is like letting somebody live inside your head rent-free” and I don’t really do that shit. Felt good to be back in water tho.

 


My teaching goes well too. I really work quite a lot but I feel good about it. Shit’s moving. Running is good, working out is good, eating habits are good, I feel good in this motherfucker. Honestly tho, watching people’s diets and routines sometimes scares me. Shit people are willing to eat… Christ. Anyways, frequencies are right, weather is good, life is nice. Hope y’all having a blast too. Sending love to everyone reading. One!


Highlights:

  • Work.
  • Diving.
  • Objectifying men.

No comments:

Post a Comment