Sunday, January 29, 2023

Semester 13 Chapter XXII: New Beginnings

Okay, two weeks ago, I was writing about our presidential election back home. So the hot guy has won. You know… The ex-military, ex-communist party member. To be fair, he seems like a nice a guy, he’s a much better choice than the fucking oligarch who ran against him (and who hopefully finally ends up in prison in the foreseeable future) and he’s definitely gonna look good on every picture. He’s gonna be easy to listen to and he might be a very good guy to represent the country. He doesn’t seem racist, he doesn’t seem chauvinist, he doesn’t seem like a douche bag. He speaks well, he’s calm and so far there is no reason to believe he’s gonna turn into an alcoholic Jabba the Hut-like monster as his predecessor. I guess I’m not as wet about him as the majority in the country but I acknowledge all of the above and I honestly think this guy might be the best president we’ve had since Havel. And I got one more point here. I’m also starting liking the fact he was in the Communist Party pre-1989. I feel it’s important. And I feel it’s important that it’s not a huge issue for most of our society (70% turnout is fucking insane btw). I think it’s important to finally acknowledge that shit isn’t always black and white. That not everybody was born into an artistic family back then. Not everybody was an artist or an active dissident. There were people being born into military families, there were people being born into communist families, there were scientists, teachers, architects… There were so many people that entered the party with no bad intentions. That was the time. The fact someone wasn’t putting their lives on the line for freedom doesn’t mean they were shitty people. No matter what the regime is, people just try to find some peace. Lotta people were still good parents, good friends, did their job well, searching for a way. And I’m not saying this to justify being in the party… I’m saying that to say that it’s okay to see things in perspective, understand that some situations are complex, there are many variables all around and we really need to try to comprehend the situation as a whole. Because yes… There is a difference between people torturing prisoners in uranium mines or sending political prisoners to death, and just being in the party because that’s the only reality you know and can imagine. Or not being in the party but still not risking your life because you have a family or you just don’t feel like it. Not saying what’s good or bad here, the context is important tho. And the fact we have a president that has put all of this into perspective and openly explains his story is awesome. And I really see a potential to unite alienated parts of society. I hope this is the new direction.

 


Tenerife has been pretty good. I’ve been working quite a lot and I’m still happy with the new scheduling I came up with for this year. Everything works well. Besides work, I managed to meet up with my friend from London twice. On Tuesday, we did some drinks around Las Vistas and on Friday, we went for a hike. Both enjoyable. I also met with my friend from Adeje for two cool hangouts. Good vibes only.

 


Over the weekend, I got booked for another OWD course. I work with two sisters, 10 and 14 years of age. They are both great but they kinda struggle with warmth. Water is still around 20 degrees but if you’re tiny and it’s not really sunny, you get cold super fast. We managed yesterday and I hope we’ll manage today too. It’s all fun tho.


In two days, I’m leaving for Brno and I’m pretty excited about that too. Lotta cool shit ahead of me. So the next time, I’m gonna be talking to you from the Czech Republic. Hope everybody’s doing well, hope the energy levels are good and spirits are high. One!

 


Highlights:

  • The new president.
  • Diving.
  • Good vibes.

No comments:

Post a Comment