Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Semester 14 Chapter XXVIII: Lace Up

What’s gucci y’all. We’re starting another week so you here comes another one of these. I’m happy that summer in the Czech Republic kicked back in. We had some pretty cold and rainy days first half of last week which wasn’t too bad as my new tattoo was still preventing me from running. But it has all flipped and it’s all unicorns and rainbows again. 

 


Quite a lot of shit has happened since the last time. On Monday, me, my sis and one of my friends pulled up to my to the trivia night at my dad’s pub. Shit went pretty regular. I contributed nothing, the team placed well and the old timers won a bottle of cheap ass vodka. I’m still on my almost non-alcoholic shit and I was really on a mission to order a non-alcoholic beer over there but before I even got to do so, there was a pint of lager in front of me and that was that. Anyways, I’m feeling this non-drinking thing. I’m not really considering going full-blown straight-edge cause I just like doing shit here and there but this alcohol shit is really just stupid. It is widely socially acceptable, we grew up on it and some social situations are pretty difficult without it but at the end of the day it’s just a habit. I have never been a massive drinker to begin with but steering away from it almost completely feels fucking great. I might still have a glass of whiskey or some beer occasionally but I’m totally removing this “one or two beers just because I happened to find myself in a bar” attitude. Cause it does feel pretty annoying at this point.

For the first time since Canada, I also took couple evenings off and did some me-time. Checked some podcasts on astrophysics and watched Interstellar again. I also re-watched the first Dune movie as the second one is coming up quite soon. Had a chance to hang out with my sister and my nephew couple of times too. And on Friday I took it to Prague.

 


It was two days of hanging out with some of my favorite people. The main event was Saturday – the bday party of my bro’s girlfriend. I loved the crowd. It was about 10 of us and it was a pretty random mixture of pretty awesome people. I mean… It was quite a lot of tattoos in the room. Apart from us, there was the guy whom I got the newest tattoo from (also a leftist cynical vegan), there was arguably one of the best tattoo artists on this planet (no exaggeration there) with his girlfriend, there was a tattoo artist from Mexico with his wife, this youngster who had come as a model for my bro weeks ago to Krakow plus some more people eventually. Pretty fucking colorful and all over the place. I got a nice moment with this model dude. You see, I still don’t fully realize how old I am when I speak to someone who’s 23. I mean, these people still feel pretty close to me. We don’t look that different, we are often into similar shit, we use the same vocabulary. I usually slowly realize that as the conversation goes. And this guy (who was by far the youngest in the room) told me how fucking cool it is to kicking it with people this much older and seeing how we do things and what we do in life. And I mean… Apart from accepting that you’re actually speaking to someone more than a decade younger, it feels good. You know, being the cool uncles to kids or some shit like that. The whole thing was good, later on people were leaving one by one and in the end it was just the core group of four. We did pull an all-nighter, I did catch my morning bus and I made it back to Brno around lunch time. After some food and a nap, I met up with my music bro, his wife and son and we spent the afternoon outside. The day was gorgeous. Parks, dinner at this Vietnamese joint, some drinks after… What a weekend.

 


Today, it was back to work. And back to fucking running. The back of my knee is reasonably healed now so I’m back at it. And boy, that was a fucking relief. God! So yeah, everything’s been alright, I feel great about what’s been going on and I’m still exited about the rest of the summer. Hope y’all keep it positive too. Stay safe. One!


Highlights:

  • Prague.
  • Friday sleep. For some reason, I slept for like 9 hours and got up at 11am. That shit literally never happens.
  • Running.

No comments:

Post a Comment