Monday, October 28, 2024

Semester 17 Chapter VII: Headstands

What’s good y’all, another week has passed and that means one thing and one thing only. Another chapter of this never-ending story. Sitting in the room with some GloRilla in the headphones, just had my lunch, it’s a bit cloudy outside but I still gotta show some real love to the weather. It’s been warm, it’s been fun spending time outside and honestly, given the fact it’s the end of October, it’s pretty unbelievable. Probably not great in the long-term but works for now. Shit, I even went out for a swim in the sea Friday afternoon.


So last week it was more yoga. I’m really getting into it. For several reasons. Being in a new city can be a bit challenging and my everyday routine doesn’t get me out there to mingle with people too much. I work remotely and all of my hobbies are kinda solitary (workouts, running…), so it’s cool to have a reason to go out there into the real world. So after this trial week, I decided to sign up for a membership which allows me to join for whichever classes I choose for the next month. My yoga center (Balanzs) has three branches around the town (plus they got some more in Amsterdam and Rotterdam), they provide a variety of sessions ranging from hot and physically extremely challenging ones to very chilled and meditative. And I genuinely enjoy all. Initially, I had been thinking about getting a gym membership instead but the thing is, it feels like yoga complements everything I do much better. On top of all that, it’s cool to work on some balancing and flexibility. And it has the right amount of breath work, mediation and spirituality. Works like a charm. Most days last week, I went to two sessions a day and I don’t really plan on slowing down much. Happy I gave this a shot.

 


So yeah, there’s been a lot of that. Last week, we also tried out this Hummus en Falafel spot which offers some of the best falafel I’ve ever had for incredibly low prices on local standards. Then we took it to this Café de Luc spot which is a jazz bar with this vintage vibe and live music. Probably the best bar I’ve seen around here. It’s cool figuring shit out and unlocking new spots. And it feels good having a spot to go to in the evenings here and there. Had a chance to talk to a sax player who was performing that night for a bit. Turned out the guy’s from Antalya where I used to study ages ago. World is small. Thursday, our neighbor had a bday party so I dropped by. Lovely evening.


Over the weekend, we did some brunches, we relaxed a bit but we stayed active. Saturday, we went to a handstand workshop. 2 hours of simple exercises and theory building up to and actual handstand. Now, 2 hours are not remotely enough to learn how to handstand confidently but the instructor was great, I connected some dots in my brain and by the end of it, everybody was able to perform some baby stands. I’ve been also working on my headstand which is going much better. At this point, I can do one in a controlled manner. Not for too long, sometimes I gotta give it more attempts but I’m getting there. And again, it’s really fun. I’ve been in a good shape since forever but this is a completely new dimension. You work with fear, you work with balance, you work with core, you just do something completely new. And honestly, the fact I really suck at most of it makes it even more entertaining. Lot of other shit I can do, this – not so much. Not sure how long I’ll stay at it but I can see this becoming a thing for real.

 


Sunday, we visited a friend for an afternoon session and we did our first beach sauna this autumn. Fucking great. Sauna, sea, shower, repeat. This is going to happen many more times. So yeah, things are moving, it’s all good over here. Hope you guys are doing well, too! Shout out to all my readers and to all my vegans out there. One!


Highlights:

  • Yoga.
  • Headstands.
  • Sauna.

No comments:

Post a Comment