Monday, November 18, 2024

Semester 17 Chapter X: Amsterdam Vibes

Hello world, it’s that time of the week again and here’s another installment of your one and only. It’s Monday afternoon, I just finished my lunch, there’s a cup of hot coffee on the table, we’re all set.

 




Last week was mostly business as usual. Work, shitton of yoga, some workouts, some running. And a lot of headstands. There’s still some way to go but it’s looking good and I can easily stay upside down for quite some time now. I’m basically just building up confidence at this point and at some distant point in the future, I’ll start fucking with handstands and possible forearm stands. We’ll see how all of that goes.

 


On Friday, I had an opportunity to join a tour around International Criminal Court. Never would have thought I’d get inside a place like that but it was interesting and even though I’m generally very skeptical to these behemoth institutions, some of their efforts definitely make difference and it was cool learning a bit more about it. Had a cool chat about tattoos with a security guy over there. Apparently, in the Netherlands they can’t discriminate against tatted-up motherfuckers so you can work at a place like that fully covered. The guy was super interested in head tattoos. His wife doesn’t like the idea but he’s getting divorced so fuck it. My man. In the evening, I got out with some lovely people to this Paloma place not far from where I stay. It’s a relatively big restaurant and it’s not great. A bit overpriced, their vegan menu isn’t all that, but the biggest bummer by far was the fucking slowness. My friends waited for food for over an hour which was kinda annoying but then they somehow managed to take another hour to bring me a glass of beer. And that’s actually kinda impressive in a way. Anyways, nice evening, good vibes, good start of a weekend.

 


Saturday morning, I caught one of my favorite hot yoga classes and then I was on my way to the station a subsequently to Amsterdam. The plan was to catch up with my friend who’s based there and to kinda sorta celebrate her birthday. She’s recently become a member of Amsterdam Soho House which I had not been familiar with at all. It looks like an illuminati place. They have this huge old building right in the center and if you’re a member, you get access to gym, sauna, movie screenings and a bar. We caught a movie called Piano Lesson which was confusing as fuck but I gotta show some love to the setup. A pretty small screening room but top notch audiovisual quality and they have armchairs so it’s pretty much like watching a movie on your couch at home. Their bar is on the top floor which gives you some pretty epic views at the city. My favorite moment was when I ordered some weird ass drink just to try something new. The waitress comes, I point out that shit on the menu and she goes… “How do you want it?” I, not having a clue what to do here, go… “What are my options?” And she goes.. “Dirty, filthy or we can do some other things with it”… At that point I just asked for dirty expecting someone would spit in it. See, if you don’t go to such places and if you don’t drink cocktails, you just don’t know. And I respect that lady because she gave no further explanation. Bro, you want it disgusting, terrible or shitty? Like please, can it just be nice and lovely? Anyways, got my dirty drink and drank it. All dirty and all.

 


I left Amsterdam on Sunday around noon and then I went pretty much straight to the beach sauna. This time it was four of us going and it was great as expected. Later on, we walked around the beach some more and in the evening, we went to a restaurant called Hagedis. Now, these guys are also a bit pricey (but then again, through Czech lenses most places are; there were some Swiss people among our group who were quite happy about how much shit costs here) but they are 100% vegan and the food is really good. Last time I was there, portions were quite small but this time, it felt better. We also went for a full menu, so it was soup, main course and a piece of cake. It’s a cool place and it looks so pretty inside. It might have been church or something back in the day.

 


So yeah, that’s where we at. This morning I went to another yoga class, I’ll probably do one more in the evening, and in the meantime, it’s quite a lot of work. Got some new students last week and totally had a moment of appreciation for what I do. I really enjoy this thing. And I feel I’ll keep enjoying it till AI replaces me or till our beautiful government raises taxes and other fees to the point when it all stops making sense. We’re getting there and I can't wait for another bump in January. Because sure, everybody has to contribute. Except rich. And super rich. And corporations. And then we can all act surprised Trump-like figures win elections all over the world. Oh well… I’ve been enjoying work a lot lately tho. Hope you guys are doing well, hope your spirits are high and you all are healthy and positive. Sending love to all my vegans. One!

 


Highlights:

  • Amsterdam. 
  • Dirty drinks.
  • Sauna.

No comments:

Post a Comment