Monday, August 18, 2025

Semester 18 Chapter XX: Wakeboarding & Cracks

Okay, here we go again. On the bus to the Hague right now – yet another trip to the Czech Republic successfully concluded. It has been a lot but it has all been fun and I’m happy I’ll get to do it again in couple of weeks. Let’s get to it tho…


Last week was partly business as usual. I worked, I worked out, I hung out with some cool people. There were couple of things out of the ordinary tho. On Wednesday, my sister took me to this lake not too far from Brno for a wakeboarding class. It was a late birthday gift. Now, I’m not much of a surfer. When I started playing with water activities, I immediately fell in love with diving so surfing has really never stood a chance. On this particular lake, there’s a whole wakeboarding infrastructure. You are being pulled on a line attached to this rope, it’s all controlled either automatically or by an instructor, and the pull gives you stability. We spent an hour pretty much learning the basics. How not to fall, how to turn, how to control the whole thing. I’m not really into gifts but when it comes down to them, I do enjoy activities and time spent with loved ones instead of artifacts. So yes, this was really good.


Friday morning, we hopped in my sister’s car and we went on a road trip. First, we stopped by at the cottage where my dad and his partner were staying for some lunch. Then we proceeded to the area around Hradec Králové to get my nephew to a theater camp. See, when me and my sis were kids, we used to go to the same theater company. And when our dad was kid… The same thing. It’s a really cool institution, people very often make life-long friends or partners over there, it’s very specific and there’s a strong sense of community. So now it’s the nephew’s turn. Since him and his buddies are still little, they only came for the weekend this time around. The full camp is 2 weeks. Me and sis were there only as support and apart from sharing a tent during the night, we were happy to leave the rascal to his instructors. I got a chance to catch up with some people I hadn’t seen in ages and I got a bit emotional as I sometimes do. See, last time I’d visited this camp before was like 12 years ago. And back then, I had no reason to assume that I’d ever come back. And yeah, some shit has changed. People I remember as kids have kids who go there now, some faces I don’t know at all. But the energy is still the same and here and there I get flashbacks of when me and my friends were teenagers doing the exact same thing. And it really makes you wonder where has all the time gone. All the love to everybody tho! Oh and on one occasion, I managed to jump waist-deep into a swamp while on a walk. That was great. Took more than 24 hours for my shoes to dry up.


On Saturday before we went to bed, my sister accidentally demolished my phone. Now, my phone was fucking terrible. I bought it back in Tenerife and since the first moment it was crystal clear that I bought some bullshit. Extremely slow, can’t run two apps at the same time, pure rubbish. Sometimes my friends would call me and it wouldn’t ring, shit like that. Battery life was not too bad tho and I kinda got used to the fact that I just waited before shit loaded up. It was also naturally limiting my screen time. If I hadn’t needed anything important, I wouldn’t have used it. So I knew my phone was trash but I wasn’t necessarily planning on getting a new one until it would fall apart. In order to see my toothbrush, I placed it on the rear edge of the car with the flashlight on and proceeded to brush my teeth. That was Friday evening. In that specific time window, my sister showed up, opened the trunk, the phone slid into the hole between the roof and the door and got pressed to the point of no return. No more display, no more anything. Which gave me two days of digital detox. And even tho my sister’s partner gave me some of her old phones Sunday evening, I’ve just ordered a new one. I can’t stand iphones, I want a two sim phone and I also need something reasonably new so I can install new apps on it. It’s crazy how much shit is no longer available if you try to set up a phone that’s couple years long.


So yeah, the camp was an experience. We chilled, we talked, we took some light hikes, my nephew got to perform his first play, it was cute, I felt grateful. Sunday afternoon, we drove to Prague to pick my sister’s partner, I got some of the old phones, took a subway to my bro’s spot, had some dinner, went out for a beer and then straight to the bus station. I even managed to sleep a bit on the bus. Now it’s 8am, I got another 5 hours before I reach The Hague. Not much planned for this week but I know it’s gonna be some yoga, some running and hopefully a bit of diving, too. Hope y’all good. Stay positive and don’t let them fuck with your inner light. One!


Highlights:

  • Wakeboarding.
  • Theater.
  • My phone going to phone heaven. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment