Aight guys... So December was unexpectedly warn but 2018 is
making up for that big time. Now we are around 3-6 degrees... The thing is tho,
in Shanghai, it feels colder. I spoke to several people and it seems there is a
consensus on this. My theory is that it is due to the non-existing central heating systems. Where I’m from,
even when it’s fucking Siberia outside,
you get indoors and you are good. Like t-shirt good. When you get home here
(unless you are staying in a hotel or just straight up running AC 24/7), it’s still cold as a motherfucker. And
AC does not really provide the same cozy warmth of home central heating does.
You gotta add a complete lack of isolation, and there you have it. So yeah...
We don’t have like -10 centigrade
here but cold is just following you everywhere like a shadow. I gotta shout out
my vegan ass organism for not getting ill once this winter so far... Not a
cold, not a running nose, I’m
guuci.
Last Wednesday, we did our regular drinking at Papa’s. For a while, they’ve had like 40% discount and their
whole selection. When you think the place cannot get any more perfect, they
just drop the prices which are already friendly as hell. It was me, ma
Macedonian guy and our friends from Monte Negro. Nice and Chilled.
Then there was Friday. We had this PhD qualify exam at the
uni. The point was to check what’s the
status of our studies and to test whether we possess some kinda basic knowledge
believed to be necessary to proceed with our studies. The whole thing was rather
confusing tho. In the morning, we took this written test, however, we were
allowed to bring our notes along so it was really no biggie. And the afternoon
presentations were just mess. Obviously, the PhDs are pretty confused, lost and
despite their best efforts just hanging out there seeking for some kinda guidance and direction. That includes me. Oh well, we’ll see what are the results – I don’t really expect anyone to fail.
In the evening, I went to check the last Star Wars which
finally got to Chinese theatres. We went for Cathay cinema at Huaihai Road,
which was the best pick ever. The first cinema outside of mall I’ve been to in Shanghai – that’s
always a plus. On top of that, it’s this
gorgeous art deco building. As for the movie, I really enjoyed it. Don’t really think it could’ve been much better. Even the 3D shit
was bearable – trying to go for a 2D
version of a blockbuster in 2018 in China is mission impossible.
On Saturday, I met up with some friends for a dinner in Jen
Dow. Other than that, I spent the weekend working on my stuff and surviving the
winter either in a gym or on the track. The tattoo is slowly healing and my
foot is back to its default shape. Oh, and the community center where my new
gym is at also has this super cool library. All modern, wooden, lotta tables,
electrical sockets, fast wifi, free water dispensers – all free. This center is a gift that just keeps on
giving. As a matter of fact, I’m in it
as we speak about to do some school reading.
Highlights:
- Today in three weeks I’m gonna be on my way to Indonesia. Words cannot express how much I’m looking forwards to that.
- School is done! Pretty much... Now the research part of my Shanghai stay starts. And it looks it’s gonna get quite busy.
- Related to the previous point but... NO MORE COMMUTING TO THE CAMPUS! God damn, that feels amazng.





No comments:
Post a Comment