Okay, another attempt to recollect the events of the past
week. I did two interviews for my classmates. For one of their classes, they
had this “create your online blog” assignment and they needed some
content. So on Monday, I rode to my friend’s
apartment by West Yan’an
Road, we did like 10 minutes of audio on veganism and then we just smoked some,
chilled, watched a movie with her friends... And I got to do a very distorted
bike ride back home...
On Tuesday, I met with my Macedonian guy at Papa’s to do a video interview on music.
We eventually had to do it over on Thursday for some reason I already forgot,
but the important thing is, they both got what they needed. And we got fucked
up too... Along with the new assets to our gang –
sisters from Monte Negro. Where my Slavs at???
On Wednesday, I met with my biking friend for our regular
biking/gallery/dinner thing. We went to Art Gallery Sitico for this art deco exhibition.
The gallery is close to the Bund and the exhibition was pretty cool. However,
the highlight of the day was yet to come. Couple of weeks ago, I
stumbled upon this article on local Chinese meals you gotta try out in Shanghai.
I dismissed most of them (cause of my vegan shit) but there was this one place
doing noodles with sesame sauce. And I love me some noodles with sesame sauce. Taking
my non-existing short-term memory into account (seriously, you have no idea how
much I have to struggle to summarize my fucking week for this blog), I had this
bright idea of making a screenshot... And boy oh boy, thank god I did. Located
on Yandang Road, you would most likely miss the place if just passing by. The
area seems a bit high-end, lotta jewelry stores around, some poshy restaurants.
This joint is super small, totally Chinese (no pinyin or English signs
available), there’s one cashier and bunch of
people working in the kitchen. It has a nonchalant vibe of a 1960s eatery.
Hipsters in Europe would cream themselves. And for 10 RMB they give you easily
one of the meals I have ever tasted in this city. It really goes up there with
my favorite spots so far. I mean... It’s
just a fast dish but the taste... Fuckin god....
In the evening, I went out again for some beers at which
point, my socializing capacities were pretty much done. I decided to take
Thursday easy. However... When I opened up my laptop the next morning, I found
out that my fucking paper got accepted for this conference... Early March in
Oklahoma. Now, I don’t
really consider the paper good and I was about to throw it away... But they
liked the abstract. And that means two things. One, I have to try to make the
full paper little less shit before I go to Indonesia next Monday, and two, I
gotta push my school to greenlight my travel grant so I can buy plane
tickets. If everything falls into place this week, I’m gonna have a quite unexpected overseas trip about 20
hours after I touchdown from Indonesia by the end of February. And that’s random as fuck...
So I spent ridiculous amount of time on the paper over the
rest of the past week. I still managed to get our Friday beer, to attend this
farewell dinner with my journalist friend on Saturday, and to grab a dinner
with the gang yesterday. But other than that, it was work, work, work, and some
more work... I honestly have no idea, if I’m
really coming to that thing but if I do, it's gonna be one of the biggest hacks I’ve pulled so far... And man,
there’s been some...
And yeah... In a week, I’m
finally turning my brain on a screensaver mode. I exchanged some more money in the bank, and also managed to get a guy through
coushsurfing to have us for the first couple of days in Jakarta, we came up with
some checkpoints we’d like to see throughout our
journey... It’s shaping up to be a great
trip. And honestly, I cannot wait to just leave my laptop behind and care only
about sun, sea, scooters, hikes, beer, food (tempeh, here I come!), and the
good shit life has to offer.
Highlights:
- The sesame sauce noodles. If you’ll ever visit Shanghai, it’s a must. If you’ll ever visit me here, it’s not even up for debate.
- Spring weather – it’s still on. It’s about to go south by the end of the week but since I’m leaving the country, I couldn’t care less.
- On Wednesday, we got to this small bar around 2am. Some Chinese guy was celebrating birthday over there (which was probably the only reason they were still open) and he was nice as hell. Buying us shots and beers and shit. Barely standing but super cool. So shout out to him!








No comments:
Post a Comment