Monday, January 1, 2018

Semester 3 Chapter XVII: 2018 Shit



I just woke up with some alcohol still flowing around my braincells and here we go. 2018, the year Im gonna turn 31... taeb31... Still the same asshole, still single, still floating out there being cynical as shit, figuring shit out, listening to rap, lifting weights, runnng, biking everywhere I go, chasing things Im not sure even exist, repeating mistakes over and over again just to make sure, walking into flames just to feel the way it burns, getting more tattoos... Life is pretty good.


My school shit is kinda wrapped up for the semester... Theres still a bit to deal with but Im pretty much there... Last Monday, I went to church for a service. My classmate, who is an U.S. born Korean, and also super Christian, invited me and some other people from the school to join her for this thing, cause you know... its Christmas and the lords gotta be praised. She picked Shanghai International Chapel at Henghan Road. Gotta say, I loved our little crowd - there was her, some of her friends from the States, two gay guys, a Muslim couple and me. I wonder if god was aight with all of our non-Christian asses chilling in his house... It was my first service ever. One hour, a Christian band singing incredibly happy songs about the guy upstairs and Jesus, a guy talking about how we are blessed and shit... I dunno... I mean, as long it helps people, who am I to downplay this, but its just weird... Like I get it... You guys really like Jesus and hes done everything right and he cares and hes the one... It just kinda feels way too two dimensional... 


After we made sure Jesus knows we all dig him, I lead the whole team to one of my favorite restaurants I usually go to with my Chinese journalist friend for a lunch. The place is incredible. There was 10 of us, we really went ham and flooded our table with amazing food, and ended up paying like 30 RMB each. Great Christmas Day. I could barely move in the gym after...


And then there was Tuesday. Morning run, some lunch and THE FIRST TATTOO IN SHANGHAI!!! I biked over to this girls place and we made it happen. I picked this Chinese theater mask, she did her own dope spin on it, and we went for it. Now, I expected something smaller but we ended up covering pretty much the whole instep. And god damn.... Feet are a motherfucker... It goes up there with ribs, elbows and inner biceps... Straight pain... For hours... I loved every single bit of it.... The only downside is that it swells like crazy so I havent really gone for a run since... But it does get better and I think tomorrow Im back on track... Anyways, Im super happy its done... Im a fucking junkie...


I kinda spent most of the week just working out, listening to music, watching series, finishing school work... Grabbed a dinner with the journalist friend on Wednesday. She's moving to Hong Kong in February. Gonna miss her but at least I have another reason to visit the city. On Thursday, I went to the campus for my very final class this semester. Which pretty much means the final class overall since Im done with courses for my program. Which probably also means the final class in my life... Im not too sentimental about it, cause commuting to Minghang is kinda shit and dodging that feels really good...


On Friday, I met up with my biking friend to go to Magda Danysz Gallery at East Beijing Road for an exhibition by Swoon. Cool ride, cool pieces... All wrapped up with a hot pot in Jen Dow. I really enjoy our little hangouts. Oh, and they decided to close all gyms at our campuses for the winter. Which kinda motivated me to look for alternatives, and after some research, I found out, theres a community center like 300 meters from my place. And it has a gym. I went to check it out Saturday afternoon and its great. Kinda small but clean, modern and not crowded at all. The space is divided into two sections gym and ping pong area. And while the gym was empty, there were like 6 elderly Chinese people totally killing it at the tables. They charge 10 RMB per hour, which is quite incredible given the fact there are dozens of super poshy western gyms all around that cost fortune... The Chinese lady at the reception was kinda surprised to see a Westerner but she was all smiles, and I ended up buying a card with 10 entries. Another cool spot in my neighborhood unlocked. 


And the New Years Eve. Yesterday evening, I bought a bottle of Red Label and met with my Macedonian guy at Papas, we got some beers, drank the whole thing, and took Didi to Arkham. Didi is the local version of Uber and it was the first time me trying it out. Now, I dont enjoy supporting all these shared economy services, cause Im convinced it does more damage than good, but Chinese cabs are known to get insane on NYE. Its nearly impossible to catch one and if you do, they overcharge the shit out of you. Using Didi is simple as fuck and it got the job done. By the time we got to Arkham, I was already drunk as a skunk. The party was dope as hell tho. There was this female DJ who was straight up killing it. She was going for sure shots in hiphop and trap realm, which rubbed me the right way. The place was packed, the energy was great, I needed that. After we were done with that, we went for a walk to Jingan and started 2018 with spicy noodles at my noodle ladys carter. Perfect kick-off. Im not sure what time I got home but Im guessing like 4am. Woke up around 10, made myself some food and a coffee and Im gonna go hit the gym shortly. 


And let me close this shit with shouting out everyone who made my 2017 amazing. All the new people that entered my life, all the great moments I got involved in, all the new ink under my skin, all the new music, my fam, my bros, my dog, my Czech crew, my EU crew, my Chinese crew.... I love yall wholeheartedly. Theres more to come, more punches to throw and take, more love to give & get, more places to see, more things to learn, more things to fuck up. Cant wait to do all of that. And the message for 2018? Same as the last year. Just fucking realize money dont make you. Stop buying shit you dont need, stop supporting corporations that destroy the world and human lives, stop supporting false prophets offering simple solutions for complex problems... Fuck capitalism, fuck racism, fuck homophobia, fuck it all. And yeah, fucking stop eating animals. Pretty please. For fuck's sake. Sincerely, your boy t31!


Highlights:

  • Lil Wayne D6. Im super biased but the guy is a god to me. The only rapper (excluding myself, hehe), whose lyrics are tatted on my body... Still killing shit. The fucking GOAT.
  • The gym I discovered. Thats a win!
  • New season of Black Mirror. Fuck yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment