Sunday, August 15, 2021

Semester 10 Chapter XXVII: Mute

Hey y’all. Let me tell you a little bit about what’s it like to be a dive instructor in a busy resort in Croatia. I feel there are some misconceptions on what the life’s like and I wanna set it straight. First of all, it’s a pretty good job. Everytime I feel like bitching about shit I remind myself of the fact that what I do is pretty fucking awesome, I am good at it and open sea beats basically any thinkable workplace. However, there are some things over here that are lame as fuck too and I wanna dig into them. One of them being the demographic. If you think that summer Croatia is a place where you can meet and hang out with tons if people your age, going through summer romances and generally have a rich social life, you’re fucking wrong. You’re dealing mosty with middle-aged couples and with older dudes. I haven’t been out for a beer with anyone I’ve met through diving here yet. Very different from Tenerfie. The vibe also gets a bit tiring. It’s too much everything. Too many people, too much hassle, eveything is packed and overpriced. Unlinke Tenerife, there are no places you would go and have a drink couple of times a week to chill. Shit like that simply doesn’t exist here. It’s either loud out of touch expensive tourist shit or nothing. And I don’t really complain here, it is an experience and it’s still enjoyable for the most part. But I’m also pretty sure I’m not coming to Croatia for another season after this. The fact that we’re doing basically one dive site over and over again doesn’t help much neither. I’m perfectly fine staying till the end of September, I’m just really looking forward for the next step. 

 



 

So last week, I did quite a lot of diving, some teaching and whole lot of relaxing in the evenings. It’s still a mixture of try dives, fun dives and courses so at least that changes. On Saturday, I took the afternoon off and my only goal was to go somewhere silent. I needed to get away from it all for a bit. I checked the maps and I found this Učka National Park about 40km from here. So I hopped in the van and drove that direction. No particular destination, no GPS, I just went. Before even reaching the official entry point, I saw a very small empty parking lot with a path into the forest next to it. No brainer. I walked for about half an hour and made it to this amazing viewpoint with Istria in the palm of your hand. There was even small bench I used for some reading and then for a nap. This whole hike was fucking awesome and the best part was I didn’t meet a single soul for the whole time. Anywhere. It was so needed. On the way back I stopped by in Labin and finished the book at this outdoor workout area I noticed the other day. I did some pull-ups while at it too. What a day.





 

These days, I’m doing a course with the boss’ wifey which is pretty entertaining and I just secured accommodation for my dad in September. I can still use some more me time but I’m also looking forward to more of my  people coming. It’s Sunday afternoon over here, I’m about to get into another book (Left Hand of Darkness; courtesy of one of my friends who came earlier in July) and in the evening I might go out for a beer with the bike guy next door. I haven’t done a proper roll-out in a while so check this... Shout out to my fam, shout out to day ones, shout out to my gang gang, shout out to my sisters and my bros. Keep shit positive and don’t entertain bullshit. And fuck capitalism. One! 





Highlgihts:

  • The Učka trip.
  • Why Women Have Better Sex Under Socialism. That book is the shit.
  • The lady in the hotel making sure I have enough vegan options for dinner. You rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment